Does this thermocouple advise make sense?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

mrkprsn

Does this thermocouple advise make sense?

Postby mrkprsn » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:11 pm

stator check.JPG

How does checking for voltage across the yellow generator wires using a thermocouple voltmeter work?

Don't you use this to check temp differences? Do I connect the pos lead to one gen wire and the neg lead to the other gen wire and test for volts?

I thought testing for volts would show the difference between each wire. I would expect that to be 0.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

themoudie

Re: Does this thermocouple advise make sense?

Postby themoudie » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:54 pm

Aye mrkprsn,

As this is an electrickery question, "I know nothing!". But from reading your questions, I would be of a similar mind. Thermocouples measure heat, probably due to material resistance (?) and testing for volts uses a voltmeter circuit. But as to the "How?" a thermocouple or voltmeter circuit works, not a clue! :roll:

However, the inserted image is so small that it is illegible! And I cannot magnify it either!

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Good health, Bill

MonzaMan

Postby MonzaMan » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:47 am

Hello:

I wondered the same thing when I read that a couple months ago. My guess is that they are referring to a type of volmeter and the intended message was lost in translation between Italian and English.

Maybe they meant to say 'analog' voltmeter. Sometimes watching trends on a digital voltmeter is difficult if the voltage is jumping around. With an analog meter one would see the needle rise and fall with engine rpms. You would see very readily if the alternator is working...

Best,

D

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:02 am

As Bill, Mark:
"However, the inserted image is so small that it is illegible! And I cannot magnify it either!"

And as MonzaMan:
"My guess is that they are referring to a type of volmeter and the intended message was lost in translation between Italian and English".

Over the years I have learnt that it's often best to read manuals and such like in the original Italian. Apart from the usual subtleties and nuances that occur between different languages, it is often apparent that the translators lacked the necessary technical knowledge to describe things correctly.

Here's an example: the radiator expansion tank on my Laverda 750 is describes as a "nourrice" in the owner's manual, the parts book and the workshop manual.
So what's one of those when it's at home?

IanHood

Postby IanHood » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:24 am

"So what's one of those when it's at home?" - in French 'nourrice' can be translated as 'wet nurse' which seems strangley appropriate for an expansion tank :lol:

Ian

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:59 am

Steady Ian! :shock:

I never thought of a Laverda 750 expansion tank as being voluptuous! ;)

Good health, Bill

IanHood

Postby IanHood » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:16 am

Me either Bill but there are some very strnge kinks in this world...

mrkprsn

Postby mrkprsn » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:34 pm

Here is a bigger pis. Click on it. Cheers, Mark

download/file.php?id=7425&mode=view

George

Postby George » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:21 pm

Disconnect the two yellow cables. Set your multimeter to alternating voltage of 200. Start engine connect multimeter probes to yellow cables. Doesn't matter which way round for ac voltage, when revving bike voltage should increase. Let us know what readings you get. Good luck
George Essex UK

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”