69 450 jupiter scrambler ignition/12v upgrade

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Ventodue

Re: 69 450 jupiter scrambler ignition/12v upgrade

Postby Ventodue » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:16 pm

wmpowell wrote:<snip>
Otherwise the bike is original except rear shocks, I can't seem to find any that are in decent shape.

First off, please know that the originals weren't very good - in fact, they were fair rubbish!

That said, they do come up for sale occasionally, normally in pretty poor condition after all these years; and obviously more frequently on this side of the Pond than on your side because many, many more SCRs were sold here than in the States - Berliner only marketed them for a year, while in Europe the SCR was Ducati's biggest selling model before the Monster.

The advantage for the originality buffs is that they can be rebuilt without any great effort. You'll see Ducati Vintage Store has overhaul kits, for example. But I can't pretend it's really worth the bother ...

Based on my experience, my advice is that if you want to ride the bike, get some modern ones. Even cheap stuff from AliExpress will be better than the originals.

wmpowell wrote:What kind of turn signals are best for the bike? Before I get on the street need some.

They never came with turn signals, except in Germany where they were obligatory. There, all that was fitted was bar end winkers, with nothing at the back. Not really pretty, and of questionable effectiveness. See attached photo.

If you MUST have some, again my advice would be to just use anything that takes your fancy from your favorite Chinese emporium. The difficult bit will be to figure out just and how to mount them; and also just where to mount the switch. There's not a lot of space on the handlebar ...

Harbrecht 2 71 450 front.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:35 pm

Update to what I wrote above:

Thanks to a previous post by Elderet (thanks, Eldert), I see that Guzzino in the States sells some Ducati Vintage Store products (as well as other Ducati singles stuff).

So they have shox and the rubber mounts and the chrome washers and the acorn nuts ... :D

Go http://guzzino.com/framechassie4.html

Also have a read here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=372&hilit=shock

wmpowell

Postby wmpowell » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:50 pm

Finally going to get the bike, should be shipped from Portland Or to me in AZ next week. Gonna do an oil change, I've read on line to use a mineral oil and since it has lower end ball bearing going to put 50w. I found Lucas Plus Racing oil 10347, wondering if this is a good oil for the bike?

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:38 am

wmpowell wrote: <snip>I found Lucas Plus Racing oil 10347, wondering if this is a good oil for the bike?

To be honest, your oil choice doesn't matter too much. Ducati specified a 20-40 (or a straight 40, if you like making kick-starting more difficult than necessary ...). But don't go any thinner than 20.

And you can use mineral or synthetic as you please. In the past, Nigel Lacey has recommended a semi-synthetic (Silkolene Comp 4 20-50); but as I say, it don't matter too much.

The main thing is to change it regularly. Ducati specified every 2000 km and I see no reason not to follow that advice.

graeme

Postby graeme » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:51 am

Correct. I agree with that.
Most important to change your oil regularly.

Graeme

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:05 am

wmpowell wrote: <snip> I found Lucas Plus Racing oil 10347, wondering if this is a good oil for the bike?

Sounds way OTT to me, but each to his own.

"This true high performance lubricant was especially developed to protect top fuel engines. PLUS resists fuel dilution like no other oil possibly can. It allows you to maintain oil pressure from one end of the track to the other. If you're into "NITRO" you definitely need to be into LUCAS PLUS Racing Oils."

"Fuel dilution"? What fuel dilution?
"Oil pressure"? What oil pressure?
"Nitro"? Oh, come on now ... :shock:

And why use a 50 weight oil? You're not going racing, are you? :? :shock:

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:58 pm

Just a wee note!

Silkolene Comp 4 20-50 doesn't appear to be readily available any more! It would appear that it has been replaced by Silkolene Comp 4 15-50 semi-synthetic and only available in 1litre or 4 litre containers, with prices of approximately £11-80 per litre inc VAT and P&P.

I am using Smith & Allan 15-50 Motorcycle engine oil Ultra 4T 4-stroke, fully synthetic at £89-99 for 20 litres inc VAT and P&P, equivalent to £4-50 per litre. The same blender also supplies a 10-40 Motorcycle engine oil Ultra 4T 4-stroke, semi-synthetic at £89-99 for 20 litres inc VAT and P&P, equivalent to £4-50 per litre. If you prefer.

Many Ducati race bike owners use Motul oils, but their 300V 4T Factory Line 10-40 synthetic oil retails at an eye watering £339-95 for 20 litres inc VAT and P&P, equivalent to £17-00 per litre! :roll: Personally, I don't think my 450 warrants this type of lubrication.

I agree with Ventodue and Graeme that on a road machine, regular oil changes, at the factory recommendation of 2,000 Km or 1,200 miles are best followed. Using, as I do, the fully synthetic 15-50, I have extended this out to 2,400 Km or 1,500 miles on occasion, with no apparent detrimental effects.

However, with only a coarse nylon gauze mesh to hold the engine debris in suspension and seeing the colour of the oil after 1,500 miles, I wouldn't be chancing my arm any further. At present I am making 3 to 4 oil changes per year and using 4.25 pints per change in the '74 450 MKIII.

Using a straight 50W oil, such as your suggested Lucas Plus Racing oil 10347, which does not appear to have the additives that assist with intergral motorcycle wet plate clutches, could lead to sticking clutch problems and a need to warm the engine oil and engine through, if running the engine in any cool temperate climate, before giving it some stick!

And "giving it some stick" is what it is all about after all! :D

Good health, Bill
Last edited by themoudie on Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George

Postby George » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:46 pm

themoudie wrote:Just a wee note!

Silkolene Comp 4 20-50 doesn't appear to be readily available any more! It would appear that it has been replaced by Silkolene Comp 4 15-50 semi-synthetic and only available in 1litre or 4 litre containers, with prices of approximately £11-80 per litre

Good health, Bill

Available here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332529837291
George Essex UK

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:20 pm

themoudie wrote:Comp 4 20-50 doesn't appear to be readily available any more! It would appear that it has been replaced by Silkolene Comp 4 15-50 semi-synthetic ..

Silkolene also have Super 4, Bill, a blend of which exists as a 20-50. It's also a semi and is API SL and JASO MA2 rated.
https://www.silkolene.com/motorcycle/4- ... -4-20w-50/

themoudie wrote: I am using Smith & Allan 15-50 Motorcycle engine oil Ultra 4T 4-stroke, fully synthetic at £89-99 for 20 litres inc VAT and P&P, equivalent to £4-50 per litre. <snip>

That's a mighty keen price!

themoudie wrote: Many Ducati race bike owners use Motul oils, but their 300V 4T Factory Line 10-40 <snip>

Nah, no plodding old, 1960s-designed, low-pressure high flow, 450 needs that :shock:. That's a lube for yer proper modern Ducrappi racer boy on his Panigale ... :)

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:37 pm

Aye George and Ventodue,

My apologise for not finding the Silkolene Comp 4 20-50 on Fleabay, or going directly to the Silkolene website. :oops:

I too think the Smith & Allan price is "Good".

And agree with your comment about the "Panigale" and Motul oils. I don't think that £17-00 per litre buys anything "Special", apart from bragging at the track day! :(

Amazing how a thread migrates from ignition and 12v upgrades to oils! :D I nearly threw in late 350 MKIII engine manufacturing tolerances woes, but will desist. ;)

Good health, Bill

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”