69 450 jupiter scrambler ignition/12v upgrade

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

wmpowell

69 450 jupiter scrambler ignition/12v upgrade

Postby wmpowell » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:41 pm

Hello, I just bought a 69 450 scrambler and want to do a ignition/12v upgrade. Has anyone done the W/C DIGITAL CDI IGN. & ALTERNATOR KIT upgrade from England? I've been looking on line and this kit seems to be one of the more complete upgrades. If anyone knows anything about these would appreciate any feedback.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ventodue

Re: 69 450 jupiter scrambler ignition/12v upgrade

Postby Ventodue » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:15 am

Hi and welcome to the Forum

A much discussed topic over the years ... :)

There are numerous ways of converting a wide-case single to 12 volts, but to answer your simple question, you can be reassured that anything Nigel Lacey sells will work. Don't forget the fly-wheel puller.

Nigel pops up on here from time to time, btw, despite being a mightily busy man.

Nice looking bike, btw. A few changes over the years (and yet another red Ducati! :? ), but looks good. Have fun!

IanHood

Postby IanHood » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:24 am

I've used the kit that Nigel sells and can vouch for the fact that it works incredibly well. Easy to set up and much easier and more reliable starting.

Ian

George

Postby George » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:48 am

IanHood wrote:I've used the kit that Nigel sells and can vouch for the fact that it works incredibly well. Easy to set up and much easier and more reliable starting.

Ian

I agree with what Ian said.
Had Lacey Ducati Eletrex world 12 volt alternator with electronic ignition fitted to my Elite. Easy to set up and no problems after two years
George Essex UK

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:52 am

Welcome wmpowell,

I fitted an Electrex STK163 alternator to my '74 450 MKIII and found that it was easy to fit and gave a good reliable charge, whilst I persisted with the OME AAU and points ignition set-up.

However, after a complete engine strip and rebuild and 2 years of frustration chasing backfires strong enough to remove the carb from it's inlet stub, I then fitted the Electrex STK169 Hall effect ignition kit and the engine has been transformed ever since.

Now 3 years and over 10,000 miles later, cold starting remains a free the clutch kick, ease the engine over 3 times, with the choke closed on the decompressor, a final swing and it starts and settles into a steady tickover. No hunting, kickbacks or other histrionics. If you are going to use the bike on the road, then in my opinion digital ignition is a step too far and "twiddling" with ignition timing on a lap top ......... :roll:

Being Electrex's agent for Ducati singles and in direct contact with Electrex management means that if you have any problems, Nigel is the one stop shop for this equipment and he "knows" his singles. ;) I am but a satisfied customer, receiving no incentives.

Go ahead and "do it", you will not be disappointed.

Good health, Bill

wmpowell

Postby wmpowell » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:14 pm

Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll look into getting the upgrade kit.
The bike has just over 5k original miles, runs good.
I'm thinking of taking off the front fork boots their not original anyway, I've found some boots that look original should I replace them or just leave
it bare?

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:09 pm

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:14 am

Aye wmpowell,

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to keep them covered up. Gaiters save a lot of hassle, with pitted stanchions, wear of oil seals, and I have always fitted them to my '74 450 MKIII. As to whether they need be the "original" type, is up to you. Personally, my MKIII was never fitted with them, but it is ridden a lot and they make that use easier, cheaper and more pleasant.

Good health, Bill

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:19 am

wmpowell wrote:<snip> I'm thinking of taking off the front fork boots their not original anyway, I've found some boots that look original should I replace them or just leave it bare?

DEFINITELY replace them. It's part of the look of the bike. I know - I own one :D .

Be careful to hang on to the retaining rubbers at the top of the forks.

Jordon has hopefully pointed you in the right direction for a set of gaiters in the US, (I guess you're in the States? It helps if you put this in your profile); but it might help you in the future to know that THE place for all Scrambler parts is Ducati Vintage Store in Italy. Run by Maurizio and Ombretta, both super people, it originated as an offshoot of the Scrambler club, Gli Amici dello Scrambler.

Have a look at their website (naturally, they have the correct fork gaiters). They ship around the world, so no trouble there. But please be careful about Italian postal rates. They can be eye-wateringly high, especially for small packets. It's often better to make up a big order, if you can.

wmpowell

Postby wmpowell » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:38 am

thanks for the info, I'm in Arizona and its dusty and windy so guess will get the original style gaiters, also trying to find some original style mirrors.
The bike has some off the hand grips ones... best I could find are bolt on scooter mirrors, they look ok I guess.
Otherwise the bike is original except rear shocks, I can't seem to find any that are in decent shape.
What kind of turn signals are best for the bike? Before I get on the street need some.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”