Fuel storage

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Dodge

Fuel storage

Postby Dodge » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:10 pm

Not sure where to post this but other boards on this forum don’t seem to be the right place.
This is not really a Ducati problem but one that I suspect many vintage vehicle owners will be familiar with. I have a small holding and in addition to owning vintage motorcycles have several other types of machinery that run Internal Combustion Engines (ICEs). In consequence I have a collection of 25 litre jerry cans storing a variety of fuels used in different machinery.

1) E5 petrol (95 octane) with Valvemaster additive for my Ducati single, 10.5:1 compression ratio – really prefers old fashioned 5 star (101 octane)
2) B7 Diesel biofuel for a daily vehicle – 2012 diesel car
3) B7 Diesel with Chemiphase additive for the tractor, runs on pretty well anything but modern ethanol fuels are very hygroscopic and have created carburettor problems.
4) E10 petrol with pre-mixed 2-stroke oil for strimmer, chainsaw etc.
5) E10 petrol – no additive for ride-on brushcutter

I could simplify storage by putting the additive in the vehicle tank each time I fill up but this is tedious because you have to accurately measure what is going into the tank and then calculate the required amount of additive.
Each of my five (actually six) jerry cans is colour coded by me for easy identification. However, it occurred to me that it would be sensible to use a recognised standard colouring system. Any suggestions welcome.

themoudie

Re: Fuel storage

Postby themoudie » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:35 pm

Aye Dodge,

Whilst I don't have a small holding, I too have a large garden and various bits of machinery, along with my neighbours who run T20's petrol/TVO and 35's with diesel.

1. 1974 Ducati 450, 1986 and 1991 Yamaha SRX 600's, 1988 Honda Bros 400, 1979 Moto Morini 125H, all get E5 + Miller's VSPe Power Plus @ 1:1,000 or Castrol Classic valvemaster @1:1,000 added at the pump. All get E10 plus additive at filling, if no E5 available. If going to be standing idle for more than 6 - 8 weeks drain the fuel tank, carb float bowl and leave open to atmosphere. Fibre filters on all fuel lines to carb float bowls, changed annually.

2. Skoda Favorit, petrol, turbo 1,000cc, E10 most times but occasionaly a fill with E5, as that is the recommended fuel. Filters changed annually.

3. Sthil chainsaw (30 years old) and Sthil strimmer (2 years old), both 2 stroke. Use an E5, with stabiliser for storage, so same as the motorbikes, mix as required using Oregon or Partner 2stroke oil at the recommended 50:1 for the chainsaw and 40:1 for the strimmer. Once the job is finished, empty the fuel tank into the mixing bottle, empty the purge bulb and store the machine with the empty fuel tank cap ajar.

4. The only container that I keep is a 5 litre can of E5, with stabiliser added after purchase and whatever remains in the 2stroke mixing bottle and I only mix up 2 tanks worth of that at a time.

5. Tractors, petrol/TVO were getting run on car fuel tank pump out from cross fuel filling mistakes, with no additives. Problems with leaking fuel tanks, carbs, due to hygroscopic ethanol and condensation. Now drained and change fuel filters annually, but still get problems because they won't use stabilisers! Diesel tractors, problems with algal growths in the fuel, blocked filters, blocked injectors, hygroscopic water and condesation to blame, if the tractor stands idle for more than 8 weeks. With B7 diesel they are adding engine oil to the diesel in the tank, as they think that the B7 diesel does not have the same lubricity of the mineral only diesel. As for quantities, tip it and see! Again, additives, so far, are not part of the thought process!

Storing excess fuel at home just just doesn't make sense for me, little and often and keep it less than 8 weeks old seems to work.

Good health, Bill

graeme

Postby graeme » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:56 pm

https://fueldoctors.com.au/

Fuel Doctor is very good

I’ve been using it for 5 or 6 years.
Fuel doesn’t go off, gum or get water.
I use it in petrol, diesel, 2 strokes and marine.

Graeme

graeme

Postby graeme » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:44 am

I hadn’t ridden the 450 Scrambler since 7th month 2022.
Same fuel sitting in the tank for over a year.
Started and ran very well.
You can’t say that Fuel Doctor doesn’t work.
Excellent stuff

Graeme

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”