Nylon liners in control cables!

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

themoudie

Nylon liners in control cables!

Postby themoudie » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:19 pm

Over the past few weeks the clutch pull required to operate the Ducati 450's clutch has become increasingly hard. It's a heavy clutch at the best of times.

Then last week the clutch handlebar lever nipple cried "Enough!" and I was left to bring to a halt, in dense traffic, a torquey 450 single! Managed to come down the box, on the throttle and the traffic parted long enough for me to dart across the road into a lay-bye, where a temporary nipple repair was made to get us home.

Having purchased one of the "Motorcycle Stunt Clutch Lever Easy Pull Cable Systems", Chinese manufacturer, from eBay a wee while ago, I decided to fit the "Easy Pull" and a new homemade cable, the latter using Venhill and Vehicle Wiring Products parts.

Upon stripping out the old cable of approximately 10,000 miles and 3 years use, it became very apparent that inspite of NOT applying any lubricant as advised by the suppliers, the nylon lining sheath had disintergrated and the peices of nylon were clogging up the cable ferrule ends. (SEE IMAGES) No wonder I was creating a Charles Atlas "Vice Grip" exerciser! :o BEWARE OF STIFF TO OPERATE NYLON SHEATHED CABLES! ???

So, I made up a new cable, without the nylon liner/sheath this time and fitted the "Easy Pull". Bit of a juggle, with 4 cable adjusters to play with, one on the crankcase, two on the "Easy Pull" and one on the handlebar lever, having ensured that the pressure plate central adjuster screw was set up correctly.

The pull is now easier, but I am not sure about the "Easy Pull" making the exercise "50% easier", as quoted by the advertiser. The difference in the internal leverage, on a common fulcrum, doesn't appear sufficient to gain that amount! I think more like 20% at best, but I haven't sat down and taken measurements and done the algebra, because I cannot be .......! ;)

Once I've put all the other bits back on the machine, after some new tyres and a brake service, I'll see how the "Easy Pull" performs on the road.

Good health, Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Duccout

Re: Nylon liners in control cables!

Postby Duccout » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:07 am

Hi Bill,

I have had similar happen to me over the years, and a couple of times the nylon inner sleeve has worked its way out of the cable, seizing everything up. Maybe they were never meant for something as heavy as a Ducati clutch.

Cheers,

Colin

George

Postby George » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:33 am

Duccout wrote:Hi Bill,

I have had similar happen to me over the years, and a couple of times the nylon inner sleeve has worked its way out of the cable, seizing everything up. Maybe they were never meant for something as heavy as a Ducati clutch.

Cheers,

Colin

Hi Colin if you think Ducati clutch is heavy I guess you have never owned a Moto Guzzi twin
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:46 am

True!

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:27 am

Good morning,

George wrote
.... if you think Ducati clutch is heavy I guess you have never owned a Moto Guzzi twin

I have a friend with multiple Guzzi twins, ranging from early T3, through the LeMans range, up to a pair of TT85's and the 450's clutch is considered heavy by both him and his wife, who ride big miles on the Guzzi's and also Norton Commando's. The latter, with diaphragm clutches are featherlight! ;) I find their Guzzi clutches easy going, but not in the same league as the Yamaha SRX singles, or the Honda Bros 400, the latter is a single finger pull and as positive as a knife through butter. I have no problems with the nylon sheathed cables fitted to these bikes, but they are OME, or proprietary cables made by "Slinky".

Admittedly, the flaky nylon wasn't helping matters, but the 450's wee short accentuating lever and it's limited throw before hitting the outer case all make for a heavy pull on the handlebar lever. By the way I have a set of Tomaselli "Matador" levers fitted since 1977 that may also be contributing to the problem?

How easy is it, having pulled the wee retaining roll pin, to then remove the clutch accentuating arm, pivot rod?

I'm thinking "longer clutch accentuating arm"! ;)

Thank you for your time.

Good health, Bill

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:18 am

Bill, getting that wee roll,pin out and the fulcrum pin on the clutch actuating arm can be a real struggle cause the wee roll pin given half a change will just shear off when you try to remove it :evil: .....maybe somebody else has a dodge to get this out??
Cheers,
George

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:14 pm

blethermaskite wrote: roll pin given half a change will just shear off when you try to remove it

With hollow roll pins, it sometimes helps to put a sliding fit solid pin (such as a nail) inside it.
Then it can avoid being crushed by whatever is gripping it - perhaps a drill chuck.
No guarantees - try it at your own risk.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”