450 R/T rear sprocket wobble & wheel alignment

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Paul1098

450 R/T rear sprocket wobble & wheel alignment

Postby Paul1098 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:17 pm

Greetings from the UK. New to the whole bevel drive and single scene so slightly out of my depth.

I've just changed the sprockets to 13/35T for road use but have noticed that the sprocket can wobble and move side to side even with the cush drive in place and the spindle nuts tightened up. Is this normal?

I found a thread mentioning sprocket wobble on 350 but that was without the cush drive so wasn't sure whether the cush drive should be sorting this out?

Is the snail drive wheel alignment device OK for aligning the rear wheel or do I need to check between sprockets?
Reason I'm asking is i'm not convinced the wheel aligns properly but thats comparing tyre to swingarm clearance either side and clearance to mudguard and also guessing where to align the marks on the snail cam adjusters to?

Any idea what the rear spindle should be torqued to?
I'm doing the front sprocket to 50lb-ft as per a thread on here.

graeme

Re: 450 R/T rear sprocket wobble & wheel alignment

Postby graeme » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:26 am

Hello Paul,

The sprocket is bolted to the sprocket carrier with 7mm bolts and captive nuts.
If your sprocket is moving independently from the carrier there seems to be something wrong with the sprocket or the carrier ?
If the carrier is moving too ? There could be a problem with the bearings or the spacers being wrong or worn .
On 450s there is 2 bearings in the carrier and 2 in the wheel hub.

Best to check sprocket alignment with a straight edge or laser.
Keep in mind the swing arm or frame could be bent.

Graeme

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:42 am

Hi Paul,

The smaller Singles use a rear sprocket carrier which has only a single bearing, which allows some side-to-side play, but the 450 uses two bearings, so there should be no play, so I reckon new bearings are in order.

Cheers,

Colin

Paul1098

Postby Paul1098 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:18 pm

graeme wrote:Hello Paul,

The sprocket is bolted to the sprocket carrier with 7mm bolts and captive nuts.
If your sprocket is moving independently from the carrier there seems to be something wrong with the sprocket or the carrier ?
If the carrier is moving too ? There could be a problem with the bearings or the spacers being wrong or worn .
On 450s there is 2 bearings in the carrier and 2 in the wheel hub.

Best to check sprocket alignment with a straight edge or laser.
Keep in mind the swing arm or frame could be bent.

Graeme

Hi Graeme & Colin.
The sprocket is moving with the carrier.
What am i looking for on the bearing? Is there a spacer between the carrier and wheel on the R/T
I wasn't sure whether it was the strange cush drive as i've not come across one with captive inner ring before.
Cheers
Paul

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:31 pm

Not R/T, but maybe similar 450.

450-rear wheel.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:03 am

As per the exploded diagram that Jordan has shown, there is a stepped spacer between the bearings, so you need a piece of tubing that fits inside the inner race of the bearing and bears against the sleeve, and then drive out the first bearing, then use a punch to drive the other bearing out from the other end. Each bearing is driven in from one side until it seats against an internal ridge. I always warm the cush drive flange when fitting and removing the bearings to make it easier.

Cheers,

Colin

Paul1098

Postby Paul1098 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:54 pm

The diagram looks the same as the RT diagram i've seen.
So dust shields 2x280, bearings 2x310 and spacer 295 is in the sprocket carrier?

Where is spacer 290 supposed to be as i don't remember seeing that?

How do you know the bearings have gone as they turn freely with no notchyness or is it just a matter of replacing and hoping the new bearings solve the problem?

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:17 pm

Hi Paul,

The spacer 290 is between the wheel bearings and the sprocket carrier bearings. And yes, if there is play then the bearings have to be replaced in the hope that it will cure the problem! It is also possible that the bearings are loose in the housings. All this is dependent on the hub and sprocket carrier being the same as a normal 450 item...... I know that Eldert has an RT so if he reads this maybe he can confirm?

Cheers,

Colin

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:45 am

graeme

Postby graeme » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:29 am

I don’t have the RT apart now, but the rear hub is the same as a 450 Scrambler etc.
The only difference from memory is the RT hub has 7 fins and the later 450’s had less.
But all the internal bearings and spacers are the same.

Graeme

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”