450 R/T rear sprocket wobble & wheel alignment

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Paul1098

Re: 450 R/T rear sprocket wobble & wheel alignment

Postby Paul1098 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:13 pm

Jordan wrote:I'd be inclined to use rubber-sealed rather than metal-shielded bearings in wheels, because:

Unlike engine or gearbox shafts that rotate inside stationary housings, a wheel axle doesn't move and the hub rotates.
Sealed bearings have the rubber pressed into the outer race, and the sealing lips bear on the inner race, where the contact surfaces move more slowly.
Centrifugal force acting on the grease will tend to make it fling outwards, but it's retained because there's no gap at the outer circumference.
Conversely, shielded bearings generally have the shields pressed or clipped to the inner race and have a clearance gap at the outer circumference.
The grease could creep out of that gap, in theory.

That's interesting to know. I had wondered about shielded but went for rubber sealed as I assumed it was better at keeping muck and water out.

Just waiting for some loctite 660 as the bearings are not a push fit but more like a slide fit into the carrier.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”