fuel petcock drip, NC scrambler

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

bw_nh

fuel petcock drip, NC scrambler

Postby bw_nh » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:14 pm

Good afternoon again List-

One of my fuel petcocks drips. I took it apart... I don't see why it drips. Nothing between the brass parts... I think fuel slips out along the threads? I don't see any gaskets or o-rings inside of this...

Am I missing something? And/or how do I seal the threads of the petcock portions?

Sincerely,

Bob Woolner
Hillsboro, New Hampshire USA

Dave354

Re: fuel petcock drip, NC scrambler

Postby Dave354 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:11 pm

Hi, you may need these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254514338429 ... media=COPY

Hope the link works!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sebring 350 based Ducati
Triumph Tiger 1200
Cornwall, UK

bw_nh

Postby bw_nh » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:03 pm

Good afternoon-

That looks like it would work - are the gaskets supposed to be in there, and mine is "missing"? Or is this a "fix"?

I did write to the ebay seller to inquire about posting to the USA. I will wait and see what he says.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Bob W

Dave354

Postby Dave354 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:20 pm

Hi, yes they should be in there… I tried to find replacement seals for ages till I found these.

Regards

Dave
Sebring 350 based Ducati
Triumph Tiger 1200
Cornwall, UK

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:19 am

Luckily these gaskets can be made at home, if not readily commercially available. They don't have moulded features like some.
Obtain gasoline-proof, high density, flexible material in the correct thickness, and use wad punches to cut out the disc and make the holes.

I dismantled an Orlandi fuel tap of unknown origin that seems identical to those on my Ducati single in most respects.
The (black) rubber disc is 2mm thick. and has 3 x 3.5mm holes, at a PCD of 8mm. The outside diameter is 14mm.
To prevent the disc from moving, the 3 holes in the tap have protruding spigots, as per attached photo.
Your own photo does not show this feature. But it does look suspiciously like it had some hollow dowels that have been removed.
Even if you installed a sealing disc to this tap, you would likely have problems unless something was done to positively locate it.

You could try reinstalling some dowels, maybe made from brass model maker's tube, if you could find the right size.
Alternatively, maybe a 4th hole could be made in the rubber disc, with a small pin installed in the tap body.

fuel tap internal.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:48 am

If you decide that life is just too short, Bob ...

New taps are available. Ducati Vintage Store in Italy or Guzzino in the States, for example.

Just be careful to get the correct thread size: 10mm, 12mm (even 16mm).

Dave354

Postby Dave354 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:10 pm

Just a note. The ones on e bay have a shamfer to the holes on one side, this to be placed facing the tap body so the smooth side contacts the rotating part of the tap.

They are pretty cheap and fit perfectly

Dave
Sebring 350 based Ducati
Triumph Tiger 1200
Cornwall, UK

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”