brake switch/ NC Scrambler

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

bw_nh

brake switch/ NC Scrambler

Postby bw_nh » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:11 pm

Good afternoon List-

I have been re-wiring the 1966 scrambler to "function better". I decided to get rid of the AC ignition, and related wiring. The brake light switch, on the AC version of the scrambler (as it was, originally), is normally closed, allowing current to pass through. When the rear brake pedal is applied, it pulls on the switch, "opening" which then diverts the electrons towards the brakelight bulb.

With a battery ignition, I needed to re-wire that switch.

I recalled, that years ago, (1986?) I pulled the switch apart and did something to make work as an AC type switch. So, today, I pulled the switch apart again (bend four tabs on the metal portion away from the grey plastic portion), removed the central-plunger, removed the brass tabs, in order to REVERSE the orientation of the brass contact tabs. Note the copper strip that weaves through the brass tabs...

... the copper tab is on the inside of the brass tab, so that the copper springy things touch the plunger when at rest. I turned the two brass strips over, so that the copper springy things are OUTSIDE of the plunger and... I decided to wrap a bit of electrical tape around the tabs to further isolate them from the central-plunger when at "rest". After turning it over, (so that the copper strip is "outside" of the plunger), and is tape-wrapped...

... at rest, the switch is "open", and when the switch is pulled, it is "closed".

NOW I can run the wire from the main ignition switch, to the brake switch, and on to the brakelight bulb.

Getting closer to being dependable for a short ride! Two more issues to solve- the fuel petcock drip, (separate thread about to be started) and the "charge the battery" problem, that I am still researching.

Sincerely,

Bob Woolner
Hillsboro, New Hampshire USA (and sometimes Acworth NH USA)

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”