DC Voltage Drops While Running

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

veloduke

Re: DC Voltage Drops While Running

Postby veloduke » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:12 am

Something is drawing a lot of current.
With everything connected as you think it should be, put a multimeter where the battery earth lead should be, between the battery and frame. Set the meter to the 10A scale DC.
Now run the bike to see what current is being drawn from or fed to the battery.
The alternator should easily cope with any normal load, and theoretically should supply about 10 amps.
An analogue meter would be best, but you should be able to get an idea if you have a digital meter.
Cheers

Max

blaat!

Postby blaat! » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:45 pm

Ok, finally got back to this project. As Bill said, Tolstoy Epic

This electrical diagram is my new set up:
199.jpg

The previous battery wouldn't hold a charge after just a few months, so I bought another brand new battery and added the fuses in hopes of avoiding another catastrophe.

With the bike running there was 2.5-4.0 amps flowing through the ammeter:
IMG_6396.jpg

I measured 7.32V at the battery while running. Initially I was excited to have so much voltage to charge the battery, but then I noticed the battery was leaking out the overflow tube onto the ground:
acid.jpg

Not sure how I went from too little voltage to too much voltage.

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:19 pm

I don't think 7.32V at the battery with the bike running is too much.
With the bike engine not running, the battery voltage will be less than that.

mrkprsn

Postby mrkprsn » Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:45 pm

7.32 is perfect. X 4 amps = 29 watts. That's no a lot but enough to run a bike with a 10+ watt led headlight. That's pretty good for an original stator

I just installed a Electrex stator/ flywheel and RR. I am getting 7.5v at the battery.

Your battery shouldn't be boiling over like that. Have you tried an SLA battery?
Last edited by mrkprsn on Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blaat!

Postby blaat! » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:19 am

I do have a 6V SLA battery and by chance I measured its voltage today after sitting for weeks without a charge and it came in at 6.4V. Maybe it is serviceable :)

I need to pray for some warm weather before winter really sets in so I can go for a long ride and test it out!

Will report back!

veloduke

Postby veloduke » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:22 am

Your charging system looks like it's working well. I'd be happy with that.
Bear in mind that you are measuring regulator output, so only some of that is going to the battery, the rest is powering the ignition coil.
Has the battery been overfilled by any chance?
Cheers

Max

mrkprsn

Postby mrkprsn » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:14 pm

delete
Last edited by mrkprsn on Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nick

Postby Nick » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:49 am

Have you checked the magnetism of the flywheel? (Sorry, I haven't read all the posts I this thread.)

I knew the gentleman who got many of the tools from Berliner in the U.S. when they went belly up. Among them was a flux meter, I believe it's called, with which he could measure the magnets in the flywheel. My Mach one's FW was weak and he charged it for me, as he also had the charging machine.

This was quite a few years ago, and what became of him and his stash of Ducati stuff I don't know.

I would guess that most of the NC bikes have weak magnets after so many years.
Put a Mikuni on it!

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:17 pm

Not read the whole of this topic, but have you tried disconnecting the brown wire from the electrex reg/rec. I only mention this as I'm not convinced the narrow and widecase models are the same regarding the "charging light" and electrex don't discriminate. It would be worth disconnecting it to see if it affects your symptoms. I've never used the brown wire in conjunction with an original wiring system and I don't think Electrex has reviewed all the original systems. I think the reg/reg was originally specified with a widecase model in mind.

Just a thought.

Nigel

mrkprsn

Postby mrkprsn » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:17 pm

So what exactly did you do to the stator to get it to raise it's voltage out put so much?

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”