Top Speed

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Duccout

Re: Top Speed

Postby Duccout » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:07 am

Hi Bill,

My Mototrans has a primary ratio of 2.19:1, but it is immaterial to me, as I only ride on small back lanes and I run the gearing that I find the most enjoyable to me.

I think that my engine is just not putting out any power, and as every relevant part is new, it is a bit baffling. It has been the same since I got it, on points ignition and electronic, on original Amal carb and new Amal carb and Mikuni carb. Anyway, it is fast enough for the riding that I do, and I won't be chasing an answer as I have three other bikes to keep running, which keeps me occupied.

Cheers,

Colin

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:40 pm

Check you have enough ignition advance, these engines generally have a poor combustion chamber shape and need a lot of advance .

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:24 pm

Aye Colin, very similar to me with the 450, with more time stravaiging around Scottish A, B, C and unclassified roads, rather than charging along dual carriageways and motorways.

As for keeping the stable in good order; I too am in the fortunate position of trying to keep them running and riding them, plus rebuild others that have been in dry storage for more years than I can remember.

As you may remember, I spent 2 years trying stop the 450 blowing its carb off in a sheet of flame and only when I replaced the whole of the mechanical ignition system with an Electrex ignition would the engine tick over, rev cleanly and not blow the carb off. The only explanation, not necessarily proven, was that the crank harmonics were playing havoc with the springs and bob weights of the AAU! :shock: Once I had the old bird running, I no longer felt the need to conduct a Spanish inquisition and have done nothing further but enjoy riding the beasty. ;)

Good health, Bill

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:38 am

Hi Bill,

It is lucky that we have something to keep us out of trouble!

Bob,

I suppose that there could be a fault in the Electrex World ignition, so it is not advancing properly.

CHEERS,

Colin

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:50 am

Morning Colin, I don't think that there is a rev limiter facility in the Electrex set up, but it might be worth a look-see in the technical info, or give Electrex a call. Nigel is holidaying this week and won't resume service until 2023-08-07. ;)

Good health, Bill

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”