250 Alternator on a 160 Junior

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

gregwils

250 Alternator on a 160 Junior

Postby gregwils » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:15 pm

I have a few spare 250 alternators that I am not using at the moment. I was thinking about putting one of them on a 160 Junior, I believe it should fit. The output on the Junior alternator is really low, IIRC it's 24 W. A 40W or 60W 12v system would allow the lights to actually work. Is there any reason this a bad idea?
Greg W
1965 Ducati Monza
1966 Ducati Monza (Project)
1966 Ducati Monza Jr
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera
Pittsburgh, PA USA

Elitepete

Re: 250 Alternator on a 160 Junior

Postby Elitepete » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:10 pm

Hi all, sorry to junp in on this thread but any information that comes up may be useful. I have a an Elite with the 24 watt alternator and the thought ocurred to me also that a later higher output stator could be fitted, so I obtained a later one with 4 coils and a rectifier regulator for 6 volts which is rated for 200 watts. My problem is that I am not an electrical wizard, but it's obvious to me that there is an ground connection on the 4 coil stator which would not be required when connecting to the rectifier regulator which has the usual 2 connections from the stator. So would it be possible to rewire the stator to provide a suitable output to the rectifier regulator? I don't know if there would be any issues with output phases if rewired?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:28 pm

Hi, I have the 60 watt alternator on a 250. Many years ago I modified it the remove the coil earths and link the coils in a more conventional way and fit a modern rectifier/ control box. This has worked for many years ,however Its possible that there are some benefits with the orriginal and somewhat unusual design. There has been a vast amount of posts in the past about the pro's and cons of the orriginal design, most of which went completely over my head . Perhaps someone could give us a comprehensible conclusion to the saga that would be usefull to us ignorant dimwits.

SubaruPaul

Postby SubaruPaul » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:48 pm

Probably not the only one thinking it would be great to have Dew Cat Tee Bob back at this moment. I’d guess some archives may assist ?

And I swear I will be getting my 250 and 350 going soon. That’s why I don’t sign in much. But much enjoy a daily check in. Cheers!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”