Elite new big end / conrod

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

George

Elite new big end / conrod

Postby George » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:27 pm

Completed engine rebuild after big end failure.
Good news: started second kick and had successful 20 mile ride. Sounds good.
Bad news: Noticed Electrix World charge warning light did not light up when turning on ign. bulb is OK and connected as per Electrix World diagram. It worked before strip down.On further investigation found battery is not being charged.
First I would like to check AC output from alternator. Two yellow wire system. Do I disconnect yellow wires from regulator, set multimeter to AC voltage minimum on my meter is 200v, start engine then connect probes to two yellow wires. If this is correct what reading should I get please.
If this proves to be correct I will need to check regulator, although I did nothing to this and was working before engine stripped.
It could of course be a simple break in a wire somewhere but would like to check alternator output before going further.
Ign alternator coils working fine with good spark
George Essex UK

themoudie

Re: Elite new big end / conrod

Postby themoudie » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:36 pm

Aye George,

Bit of a ........! :(

I have been on the Electrex World website and assumed that you have fitted a Ducati Narrow Case models 125, 160, 175, 200, 250, 350 Digital CDI Ignition + Alternator 120w Kit - STK-161 to your Elite?

I then selected the "Technical" tab in the heading list of tabs on their web page, then selected "Battery charging problems" beneath the "Regulator Rectifiers" illustration and this links you to a Dropbox document, which gives a comprehensive testing sequence. :D

Link to the Electrex World Dropbox test sheet for battery charging problems:
Electrex_World_Dropbox_test_sheet_for_battery_charging_problems

I hope that this enables you to diuagnose the fault. If not, a call to Electrex World usually gets a response.

Good health, Bill

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:25 am

I’ve not been too impressed with Electrex parts. My first reg-rec failed completely very early in its life, and the warranty replacement they sent me no longer operates the charge light properly although it seems to control the system voltage ok still. I have fitted a little red:green LED monitor so I can see it’s charging ok while riding.

George

Postby George » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:07 am

Thanks for the link Bill, I should have checked their website first.
Ian to be fair unit was working fine before strip down, I think fault is more my assembly than the electrix unit. Giving my brain a rest this weekend riding the 350 to Brooklands motorcycle day Sunday
George Essex UK

George

Postby George » Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:05 pm

Having wasted my time chasing volts yesterday had to stop. Fresh start this afternoon. As I was removing seat noticed green wire from regulator not connected to battery negative terminal. once connected all working fine. My mistake entirely. Lost count of the times I have told others to stop when tired. If only I had listened to myself :D
George Essex UK

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:14 pm

Aye George,

Well, that's a nice surprise, often it is the bleedin' obvious staring you in the eyeballs and the wee synapses don't wont to know! :D

Have a safe and happy day at Brooklands, with the 350 tomorrow. It is blowing a hoolie up here, gusting gale force, with heavy showers passing through and high UV sunshine the next minute.

Good health, Bill

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:50 pm

Well done George! I don't know about you, but the older I get the more I miss what is right in front of me.

Cheers,

Colin

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”