Oil and Petrol!

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

graeme

Re: Oil and Petrol!

Postby graeme » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:36 pm

A bit late but,,,,
I lined a fibreglass TT2 tank (new, never had fuel in it) with POR15.
It didn’t stick and came loose after a short time.
Had to cut the bottom of the tank to grind it out.
I used Hirsch tank liner and it has been good for 10 years so far.
Others I know have used POR15 in steel tanks with good results.
The Hirsch can be thinned and washed out with acetone if needed later.

Sticky fuel residue,
I use a fuel conditioner and cleaner called Fuel Doctor.
Fuel doesn’t go off and the fuel system stays clean.
1mm per litre.
All bikes, log splitter, mowers, chainsaw s, cars etc.
Highly recommended.

Graeme

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:36 pm

I have just got round to checking the valve clearances, and the inlet had only increased by 2 thou, but the exhaust had doubled from 6 to 12 thou, so it looks like a trip to Joy engineering will be necessary. I suppose the rockers and cams were always likely to suffer the most wear, although the rockers have already been repaired and I thought that stellite would have been more wear resistant than that. Anyway I will carry on riding and see what else happens, and if things seem ok I'll have the rockers and cam repaired in the Winter.

Cheers,

Colin

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:52 pm

I would say its pretty unlikely the stellite on the rockers will have worn......but the camshaft will (being softer.)
Cheers,
George

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:36 pm

Hi George,

The trouble is that although the cam lobes have probably worn, the clearances are checked on the base circle of the cams so if the valve clearances have opened up it must be due to to wear on the rocker faces. Still, until I take out the cam and rockers and have a look I won't know what is going on. I still have my fingers crossed for the big-end!

Cheers,

Colin

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:46 pm

Colin, yes you are absolutely right there :) that was a pretty dumb and ill thought out response to your post :oops: however what I meant was stellite is seriously hard and usually takes a lot of hard miles and pretty dirty oil before it shows much in the way of wear......Triumph twins used stellite as facings for their cam followers forever and I have pulled down many of those motors with really high mileages 60/70 plus K and the followers are always pretty good......the cams on the other hand are worn stupid, maybe the valve tip end of your rockers have had a bad time with the diluted oil??
Cheers,
George

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:04 am

Went for a ride yesterday and found good and bad news..... I have replaced the fork oil with SAE 40 and they are working fine, and the new Amal carb is working perfectly. Bad news is that I can hear a knock at tick-over that was not there before. I may lift the barrel and check the big-end.

Cheers,

Colin

graeme

Postby graeme » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:11 am

Or the piston skirt

linker48x

Postby linker48x » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:57 am

I’m also coming in quite late. Two thoughts—
1. the possibility of a rusty tank caused fuel leak leading to a structure fire is so significant that one might think about doing something certain to solve the rusty tank problem right at the source—actually removing the rust from inside the tank. Evapo Rust is one of the new generation chelating rust removers that are safe to the user and the paint and environmentally benign—just pour it down the drain to dispose. I’ve used this in gas tanks and it works like magic—really, really well—the rust is just gone. Use it with a handful of square nuts shaken around, rotating the tank, sealing the cap with SaranWrap and the petcock holes with corks and give it time to work. Also, I’m one of those who’s had bad experiences with tank sealers, and I’ll never do that again, it fixed nothing and introduced a serious new problem in my case.
2. Inline fuel filters don’t do anything if the source of the petcock clogging problem is rust in the tank, because they are downstream from the petcock. A fine screen on the top of the petcock can help, though. But natch, the real solution is to remove the rust.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:47 pm

Thanks for that, l will investigate.

Cheers,

Colin

George

Postby George » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:47 pm

hi Colin have to agree with previous post. You will have to treat tank to get rid of rust. Por15 kit comes with cleaner metal prep and tank sealer.Check out on https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142550397426 ... R5bz-JurYg There are also instructions on either utube or web
I was very anti tank sealer/liner but Road tank had rust and pinholes. After temporary stopping on pinholes spent time on cleaning rust. Patience required. Usual methods white vinegar or electrolysis (my preferred method) then used por15. happy with result 500 miles no problems.
George Essex UK

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”