Sludge plug

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

George

Sludge plug

Postby George » Wed May 17, 2023 2:52 pm

I am having trouble trying to remove crankshaft sludge plug. Old style with mangled screwdriver slot and preened on threads. Tried cleaning thread with dremel and attempted undoing with windy hammer. Will not budge and just wearing slot. Should I drill it out? I will be having new conrod assembly fitted. Any suggestions would be appreciated
George Essex UK

George

Re: Sludge plug

Postby George » Wed May 17, 2023 3:02 pm

Excuse the predictive text. Please read peened for preened. Treads mutilated with hammer and punch in plain English
George Essex UK

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Wed May 17, 2023 3:55 pm

The last really stuck one I had I drilled a 1/2" hole through it and welded an old ground down ring spanner in the hole.......that got it out!....with no damage :).
Cheers,
Other, George

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed May 17, 2023 4:06 pm

Hi George,

So has your big-end just failed? I think other George has the answer - something welded to the plug would be the safest method. Maybe Nigel will see this thread, he must have removed more of these plugs than anyone.

Let us know how you get on.

Colin

George

Postby George » Wed May 17, 2023 4:57 pm

Other George :D thanks for reply. Have used this method in the past. Drilling large hole seems to help release. I have no access to welding equipment so might have plug removed when engineering company split crankshaft.
Colin, yes big end failed on Elite. Won't know why till stripped, could be blocked oil ways. I should have had big end bearing inspected when rebuilding engine. Life is one big learning curve.
George Essex UK

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Wed May 17, 2023 6:02 pm

Hi George

what i do when the slude trap plug wont come out is i drill a medium size hole in it and hammer a Torx bit in there

Eldert

Dave354

Postby Dave354 » Wed May 17, 2023 7:32 pm

Hi same here, drill it through and a meaty easy out to turn it?

Regards

Dave
Sebring 350 based Ducati
Triumph Tiger 1200
Cornwall, UK

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Wed May 17, 2023 8:40 pm

George, once you get it out (the sludge trap bung :) ) get a socket hex plug to replace it with, I am pretty sure Nigel has them, You will probably never need to remove it again.....but it makes fitting an easy and secure job......not that stupid screwdriver slot nonsense :roll:
Cheers,
other George

George

Postby George » Wed May 17, 2023 9:23 pm

blethermaskite wrote:George, once you get it out (the sludge trap bung :) ) get a socket hex plug to replace it with, I am pretty sure Nigel has them, You will probably never need to remove it again.....but it makes fitting an easy and secure job......not that stupid screwdriver slot nonsense :roll:
Cheers,
other George

Plug arriving tomorrow from Nigel with conrod and gaskets
George Essex UK

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed May 17, 2023 11:16 pm

It has been a long time since I removed a sludge trap plug on a Ducati. I used an impact wrench, the type that is hit with a heavy hammer, using the largest bit in the kit.
Another idea.
Sludge trap removal.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”