main shaft issuse

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Wolf

main shaft issuse

Postby Wolf » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:26 pm

Hi folks

This is what I've found recently: when turning the clutch drum I noticed a wobble of the clutch housing of my SCR 450. I kind of hoped that this might be caused by the clutch housing which appears to be in order. The culprit is the main shaft which is bent a little, 0.2 mm at least. The spec says no more than 0.05 mm. The shaft turns freely without any binding, when running the engine I do not hear any strange sounds - and I assume the problem exists since 30 years.

But I've noticed that the clutch push rod don't last very long, the new one installed maybe 400 km ago is worn. See the pictures, all surfaces were worn, the ball was a lot smaller and not round any more. May this be caused by the bend shaft or is this a quality problem of the newly acquired clutch pushrod set?

What would you do - ignore the bend main shaft?
Do you think this might affect the pushrod of the clutch or is this coincidence?

Any insight or advice is appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eldert

Re: main shaft issuse

Postby Eldert » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:51 pm

Hi Wolf

your mainshaft could be on the way out . they have a habit off breaking at the circlipgroove
that keeps 2nd gear in place

Eldert

broken shaft.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:12 pm

Maybe the shaft could be straightened using a press?

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:22 pm

Hi Eldert, Jordan -

hopefully the main shaft stays the way as it is, at least until next winter. The part is available, I consider replacing it by a new one. The idea trying to straighten it with a press bears maybe the hazard that the circlip groove will come into play...

Kind regards

Wolf

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”