Old Style 350 Ducati Widecase Scrambler

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Du-Can-Du

Old Style 350 Ducati Widecase Scrambler

Postby Du-Can-Du » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi: New here. :?: I recently bought a 1968 350 widecase Scrambler. Instead of the usual tank and seat for a 68 Scrambler, it has the old style tank. I found a picture of it in Mick Walker's "Ducati singles". It is listed as a 1967 prototype 350 Scrambler. Does anyone know if these where sold in the United States in 1967 or 1968? Does anyone know if there is anything mechanically different about them? Are they common? Thank You for any and all responses.

MotoMike

Re: Old Style 350 Ducati Widecase Scrambler

Postby MotoMike » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:44 pm

DCD
I won't be able to aswer your questions, but would love to see pics of it. ;)

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:08 pm

I remember reading in one of my books about a transition scrambler that used the widecase frame and motor but the narrow case tank and seat. Believe that is what you are describing. I even saw one for sale not too long ago.

I will try to dig out all the books and see if I can find the reference again.
1970 450 SCR

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:43 pm

I think that the very first production run of widecase machines are like you describe.
There was a batch of 500 produced for sale in the US.
They can be distinguished by the slight difference in the frame.
There is no lower loop on either side of the rear subframe area, just above the swinging arm pivot.
This was quickly changed by Ducati due to fractures in the side plates that clamp the swinging arm pin in place.
These frames are quite rare now, so if you've got one it needs careful checking for cracks, but is an interesting curio.
I know a guy who has one in California. It's the only one I've ever seen.

Jon.

Du-Can-Du

Postby Du-Can-Du » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:40 pm

Thank You for the information. :) I will check the frame to make sure it is good. It is torn apart since the piston was stuck. When I get a photo, I will post it. (If I can figure out how to do it.) :oops:

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:56 am

By: Du-Can-Du...
" It is listed as a 1967 prototype 350 Scrambler. Does anyone know if these where sold in the United States in 1967 or 1968?
Are they common? "

____ Yes, I have one of those myself, as well.
There were both 250 & 350 wide-case Scramblers that came-out in 1967 (but the 250s were less common cuz there were left-over narrow-case '66 250SCRs left to sell-off for '67).
Those unique models are not common (even by Duc-Single standards, of course), and while I can believe that 500 were made, I have doubts that that many were imported into the USA.
It's no-doubt the rarest 350-model of all (production-350s), (if not by the '70s, then certainly by now!).

" Does anyone know if there is anything mechanically different about them? "

____ It depends on which production-batch you have...
I've had two of these rare 350s which came stock with many parts that were bowered from the 1966 n-c 250-Scrambler. - Including it's battery-less electrical system.
The oldest one I had, had that older-system, and the other (which had been titled as a 1968 but was actually made in 1967 also), had the newer battery-type system shared by all other w-c models.
To tell which yours is, it will either have an alt.cable with 1-red, 1-yellow, & 1-white, or, 1-red & 2-yellow wires within. - (However when those wires get exposed to the air for so long, it's then hard to see the difference between the white and the yellow-colored wires.)
Your 350SCR should definitely have the real '350-cam' (rather than the poorly-matched 250F1-cam that Ducati started installing in 350s starting in 1968). _ Thus your 350 should be the fastest of all the 350-models.
__ Let me know the motor-number on yours, so we can learn who's is oldest.

" When I get a photo, I will post it. (If I can figure out how to do it.) "

____ To add a digital-pic of what you wish to post, simply go to your posting (while logged-in) and use the 'EDIT' button, then scroll-down near the bottom and click on the 'Upload attachment' button, and then the 'Browse...' button,, find your intended picture in your PC and then doube-click on it, then click on the 'Add the file' button, and finally click on the 'Submit' button.
When you next see your posting come-up, if you then see something that didn't turn-out as you expected, then use the EDIT-button to again start-over, with another try.
__ Whether you show us a pic of your rare-DUKE or not, it's nice to have you join us DCD !

DUKE-cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Du-Can-Du

Postby Du-Can-Du » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:56 pm

Thanks for the information on posting a photo. The engine # is 05056. I thought they may have started at 05000 but if yours is older, then that is not the case.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”