Veglia revcounter bracket

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

themoudie

Re: Veglia revcounter bracket

Postby themoudie » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:14 pm

Aye Jordan,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Without going into detail the 125H uses a Lambretta/Vespa type flywheel ignition, within the generator rotor. Yes, the trigger coil is inductive and is supposed to produce a full waveform. This was part of my problem, because mine didn't produce a full wave form and therefore didn't advance the ignition. However, since replacing the trigger coil and using 3 different trigger coils, there is no ignition advance. All of the other components have been passively and dynamically tested and appear to be functioning correctly. So, it appears that the interaction, or lack of it, between the generator rotor and trigger coil appears to be the problem. Ducati Electronnica components greater than 30 years old appear to be the problem and OME replacements are no longer available. At present there are no alternative ignition systems manufactured to replace the OME and having contacted all potential manufacturers and received polite "Not worth the time and effort.", my thoughts are turning to alternative engines! ;)

If your interested in the saga so far, here is the link to the thread on the Morini Riders Club forum: MRC_MM125H_ignition_no_spark!

Good health, Bill

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:40 am

I've noticed on my trusty oscilloscope that trigger coils usually produce a sine type wave, but with the slope on one side being very steep (near vertical), the other a gentle slope. Vertical waves usually don't show up on the display, although they are part of a full waveform.
The gentle slope's steepness increases with rotor speed, and this is how the CDI advances, as the trigger voltage arrives earlier in the cycle.
With wires improperly crossed, the gentle slope is not active, but steep slope is, but it cannot provide the needed variation related to engine speed - so ignition is virtually fixed.
Easy to try changing over the wires.
I'm not saying that's definitely the cause of your woes as some internal CDI circuitry might be faulty.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:00 pm

Just as a means to raise a laugh at this thread, I have just spotted an ad for 'Draganfly Motorcycles' which boasts of new BSA A50 and A65 speedometer brackets 'made in house' for £17.99 + VAT. Lucky devils........

Colin

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:59 pm

I found this on eBay, Veglia rev-counter bracket, new. Looks good:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234725765582

I don't know why the link does not work.

Cheers,

Colin

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:56 pm

Unusual left side mount.

veloduke

Postby veloduke » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:23 am

Cheers

Max

Duccout