1966 250 Monza => 350 Bitsa

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DesmoDog

Re: 1966 250 Monza => 350 Bitsa

Postby DesmoDog » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:00 pm

Ok, one more post covering the dreaded rearsets and that will be it, I promise. And why do I make that promise? Because, except for a couple details mostly involving cleaning up the cosmetics, they are f'ing done. Finally.

Here's the brake side with all it's functional bits in place. It looks much the same as the previous shot except now the cable housing has been shortened (but not the wire) and the brake light switch is mounted and functional (on the back side of the bracket). No funky linkages to activate the rear brake, no levers hacked out of aluminum plate and stuffed behind the bracket. No added brackets and springs for light switches. Done.

Also, the "stock" peg has been modified to work with the kickstart. The shadow might make it less obvious but TAH DAH! A functional brake lever that clears the kickstart. Color me happy to be done with this part of the rebuild.

Shortened peg on brake

Original length peg on shifter

Why I was making this so complicated along the way I'll never know...

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:22 am

Yesterday I discovered the coil would hit the bottom of the tank with how I wanted to mount it. Took some stuff apart, put it back together in a different order/location, got the coil to fit under the tank. Then discovered the tunnel on the tank fits so tight to the frame a throttle cable won't fit between them. Oops. I'll have to take a closer look at that one… probably have to shim the front tank mount a touch.

Today I finished a muffler bracket for it. It didn't turn out exactly how I envisioned but functionally it worked fine. It pulls the muffler in closer to the wheel than stock, and using a 250 pipe on a 350 pulls the muffler up a little too, so the bike should be able to lean further before touching the exhaust down. Sweet.

As I sat there feeling all warm and fuzzy about my mad skillz I looked at the centerstand. Rolled bike off centerstand. Retracted centerstand. Confirmed centerstand and new muffler bracket want to occupy the same space.

So… in fact while I did finish _A_ muffler bracket, it appears I didn't finish _THE_ muffler bracket…

Oops. Going to have to take a closer look at that one too. It may not be all that bad, the interference isn't major and tweaking a few things might make them snuggle up close but not actually contact each other. The problem is moving the muffler out eats up space I need for the shifter peg… it's always something. I may have to spring for a pipe off a 350 after all. (This assumes that a 350 pipe is a touch longer to compensate for the taller 350 cylinder?)

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:36 am

So we're coming up on three years with zero progress on this thing. I'm pretty sure I started it at least ten years ago? May be time to let it go... so how does a guy figure out what an unfinished project is worth???

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:10 pm

Three years is nothing- would rank as a 'current' project to me, but, to your 'what an unfinished project is worth?', question, the best way to find out is to put it on Ebay and see where the market values it. I expect you'll be disappointed- unfinished projects aren't highly desired- you've probably heard someone say that to sell a custom/special bike requires a buyer who would have done exactly what you did- can be hard to find. You'd probably get more money parting it out.
If you don't watch Ebay auctions, this bike would have a wider appeal to buyers, and it didn't get bid very high:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Ducati-35 ... 7675.l2557

Rick

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:45 pm

Thanks for your comments, Rick. That bike is a good indication of where things are at, I'd agree it has wider appeal.

Hmm... I have other stuff taking up more space, maybe it will sit in the corner for a while longer.

halfpast

Postby halfpast » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:26 am

Bringing back an old thread here - DesmoDog if you're still out there did you fabricate a new front axle spindle?

I got the same Oldani brake for the front end of my narrowcase bike and it appears that a new (smaller) spindle will have to be made.

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:53 am

Hello,
Can anyone identify which kickstart lever DesmoDog is using? I have the same problem, and to have this 'jog' in the shaft would be most helpful.

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:14 am

Looks like he bent a stock lever, look closely and the chrome is blue from the heat. Folding rearsets would eliminate the need for most or all of that bend.

There are replica rear set parts out there for the setup used on later widecase mk3’s

See pic

917FF6F6-C777-4389-9397-5097E86BE0AF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:05 am

That is a stock lever that has been bent, however the "blue" is a reflection. It was rechromed after being bent.

I have a folding lever half built somewhere, but after screwing around with numerous set ups for way too long this seemed like a better solution. You'll notice the footpeg IS folding, the peg on the lever is not.

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:32 am

halfpast wrote:Bringing back an old thread here - DesmoDog if you're still out there did you fabricate a new front axle spindle?

I got the same Oldani brake for the front end of my narrowcase bike and it appears that a new (smaller) spindle will have to be made.

I didn't have to make a new axle, that's a stock 250 Monza part. It's been a long time since I worked that out but I don't even recall making a spacer for it? I'll have to take a look next time I'm down there.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”