1966 Scrambler runs!

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ducwiz

Re: 1966 Scrambler runs!

Postby ducwiz » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:43 pm

As I wrote already on Aug 29th, you need a special coil for an AC /i. e. energy transfer) ignition. This one https://www.rexs-speedshop.com/product/6-volt-points-magneto-ignition-coil/ might do the job. I do not believe that one of the coils you mentioned will work sufficiently. Afaik an AC coil must have a primary resistance of below 1 ohm. Unfortunately, none of such is available for a measurement of primary resistance, as I don't own an n/c single anymore since decades.

Very important is the precise angular adjustment of your alternator flywheel with respect to T.D.C. Read: http://www.motoscrubs.com/Ducati_Electrics/Ign_Flywheel.htm.

The working principles of the different ignition systems are perfectly explained here: https://motorcycleproject.com/text/ignitiontech.html
You will understand that magneto and energy transfer ignition are basically different systems!
Also instructive: https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-motorcycle-repair/triumph-energy-transfer-ignition-zm0z16mazhur/

cheers Hans

bw_nh

Postby bw_nh » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:20 pm

Good morning-
I don't visit this forum often enough- today is a "parent teacher conference" day here at school, and I have 20 minutes between meetings, so I am poking about, keeping myself busy...

I have looked through all of my own shop manuals, and can not find that information in any of mine. Perhaps you have some different ones? Hopefully? I have also looked online quite a bit, and can not find much reference to actual numbers.

I am pretty sure that my automatic advance unit is... no advance. If I read the manuals correctly, my 1966 Ducati 250 scrambler has "zero" advance. I am pretty sure my scrambler was NOT originally sent to the USA market- There is evidence that the bike was on Guam, early on in it's life...When I stripped the paint from the front fork boot, I could see a dmv registry sticker from Guam... I did photograph that, before repainting it. Was the bike originally in Guam? Where there Ducati dealers there? Or shipped in from Japan? Or from somewhere else? And then brought back to the USA? That, I don't know. (Somewhere I have a black&white photo of that decal...

I have moved the bike deeper into the barn, as November winds and blowing, chill in the air, snow not too far behind. I am sort of hoping that Santa might bring me an electronic ignition or something, because I feel like I am not making much progress in getting the AC ignition to work. The bike runs on "battery DC ignition"... I think I used the "coil without the green label" with the battery ignition, but I would have to check again.

I could re-wire to get some sort of regulator to charge the battery... but maybe going over to some more modern ignition/lighting system would be the right thing.

Ah well. I need to get ready for my next parent meeting. And I appreciate your reading of the post, and would appreciate it if you find that coil resistance information... and also your thoughts on changing out the electrical system.

Sincerely,

Bob W
Hillsboro, New Hampshire USA

bw_nh

Postby bw_nh » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:30 pm

Good morning List-

It is a year later- and THIS summer, the 1966 scrambler starts and runs dependably! I will start a new thread.

Sincerely,
Bob Woolner
New Hampshire USA

mrkprsn

Postby mrkprsn » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:26 pm

Congrats! Lets us know what you did. Since you have one of the most demanding jobs in the world (teaching 7th graders), working on the scrambler is easy in comparison.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”