Crankshaft endfloat - 175TS

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

George

Re: Crankshaft endfloat - 175TS

Postby George » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:55 pm

Hi Ian, the key takes the load and the nut tightens gear on to the shaft and does not effect crankshaft end float.
The key should be a light push fit in shaft keyway and the gear should be able push on with fingers with no side play. I would think that you should fit a new key. If keyway is worn You might have to make a stepped key.
If I remember correctly the bottom vertical bearings are held in place with suitable shims between bevel shaft top bearing and alli clamp that fits on crankcase. Good luck, sure you will sort it out.
George Essex UK

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:09 pm

Ian, because you have had outside std. tolerance end float on the crankshaft the bottom bevels will have been trying to control the float resulting in more than normal pressures on the bottom bevel bearing pack, so I wouldn't be surprised if you have a little more than expected vertical movement of the bottom bevel ..........once you have the crank endfloat sorted its just a re shim of the bottom bevels to get things back to rights.
Cheers,
George

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:50 pm

blethermaskite wrote:Ian, because you have had outside std. tolerance end float on the crankshaft the bottom bevels will have been trying to control the float resulting in more than normal pressures on the bottom bevel bearing pack, so I wouldn't be surprised if you have a little more than expected vertical movement of the bottom bevel ..........once you have the crank endfloat sorted its just a re shim of the bottom bevels to get things back to rights.
Cheers,
George

Yes, I did wonder about that. The extra play from the crankshaft shims giving way (if that is the cause) will have let the bottom bevels come harder into mesh than intended.
Cases are not apart yet so will find out more when that's done.
I made a schoolboy error in not loosening the sprocket nut so may have to throw a few bits back on so I can hold it still.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:07 pm

George wrote:Hi Ian, the key takes the load and the nut tightens gear on to the shaft and does not effect crankshaft end float.
The key should be a light push fit in shaft keyway and the gear should be able push on with fingers with no side play. I would think that you should fit a new key. If keyway is worn You might have to make a stepped key.
If I remember correctly the bottom vertical bearings are held in place with suitable shims between bevel shaft top bearing and alli clamp that fits on crankcase. Good luck, sure you will sort it out.

Absolutely - the key is damaged. As far as I can recall it was a new key when I built it, so it's a bit surprising that it hasn't survived better. I will need to look at my notes.
I will have a closer look at the keyway slot in the shaft when it's out. The slot in the gear looks good.

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:42 am

The extra loading on the crank end bevel gear is why the key is damaged.
Cheers,
George

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:24 pm

Split the cases today - a couple of photos attached.
The shims are a bit distorted on the ID, but there is not much of a radius where the main bearing journal runs into the flywheel. There is a bit of a machining step where I could imagine the shim "hanging" up a bit.
Is there a recommended way to relieve the inner edge of the shim? I was thinking of a quick run round with a small fine file to knock the corner off.
IMG_5475.JPG
IMG_5472.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:10 pm

I would use a dremel with a little sanding drum.
Cheers,
George

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:55 pm

As per George (80 grit) and give it a thorough clean with brake cleaner afterwards.

Good health, Bill

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:56 am

If there's no thicker shim washer (with radius) to place next to the crank web, could shims be placed on the other side of the bearing instead?

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:39 am

Probably......if I remember correctly that's the way Velocette did it, however the problem with this is the need to remove the main bearing from the case several times to get endfloat correct which has the potential to damage the case, its got to be easier just to shim the crank?
Cheers,
George

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”