Amal Carb Jetting

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Duccout

Re: Amal Carb Jetting

Postby Duccout » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:30 pm

So did my Mototrans Strada 250, all the same except that the main jet is a 180, probably due to the more restricted silencer.

Colin

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:35 pm

Wonders will never cease, I seem to have got the bike running decently with the Amal! It is a bit rich, so I will try it with the needle down a notch, but for a 45 yr-old carb, it is a bit of a miracle.

I persevered because I suspect that Mikunis may not like running with a downdraught? I don't believe that I have ever seen a Japanese bike equipped with Mikunis that did not have the carbs mounted horizontally, and I believe that my problem with weakness low-down may be due to the downdraught angle lowering the fuel level.

Colin

Dave354

Postby Dave354 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:41 pm

Hopefully this will help the carb rebuild!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sebring 350 based Ducati
Triumph Tiger 1200
Cornwall, UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:48 pm

Very good!

George

Postby George » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:54 pm

Duccout wrote:Wonders will never cease, I seem to have got the bike running decently with the Amal! It is a bit rich, so I will try it with the needle down a notch, but for a 45 yr-old carb, it is a bit of a miracle.

I persevered because I suspect that Mikunis may not like running with a downdraught? I don't believe that I have ever seen a Japanese bike equipped with Mikunis that did not have the carbs mounted horizontally, and I believe that my problem with weakness low-down may be due to the downdraught angle lowering the fuel level.

Colin

Good news Colin. Never give up trying. I am a fan of Amal. Never had problems.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:34 pm

Hi George,

I am a big fan of Mikunis, they are beautifully made and simple to work on, and infinitely adjustable, BUT this infinite adjustability is a drawback when trying to set up a carb that is non-standard. The big Japanese companies can afford to set their bikes up perfectly, but a private owner just keeps chasing their tail, and it works out expensive. Amals, on the other hand, have a big advantage for us, in that Mototrans have done all the work for us!

If my old carb ends up being too worn, I can simply buy a brand new one with identical jetting from Burlen, which is what I should have done in the first place!

Cheers,

Colin

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”