Winter is over

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Wolf

Winter is over

Postby Wolf » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:54 pm

...what I've done in the dark days (although, considering the recent situation, it's still dark). My intention was to reduce a little weight of my 450. I've replaced the side stand with that of a RT, the battery and the driving chain with lighter parts. Also, I made some parts out of aluminum to replace parts made of brass or steel. The overall weight reduction is 4,5 kg, not that much. But being in the workshop is fun too. I've also spend some money on the fork internals, this is really a huge improvement.
The front brake works very fine now.

Cheers

Wolf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

graeme

Re: Winter is over

Postby graeme » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:25 pm

Nice job Wolf,,,,,

What did you do to the fork internals ?
Is that a magnet in the oil dip stick ?
520 chain and sprockets ?

Graeme

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:27 am

converting to 520 chain you can use a Honda CRF 150 front sprocket
520 conversion 001.JPG

for the alternator outlet you can use a 35mm Marzocchi fork cap on a late type crankcase .

Eldert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:20 pm

Hi Graeme,

I'm using a 428 chain, front and rear sprocket are available for the Scrambler models (or could be machined to fit from 530 parts).
The fork was completly rebuild by hh-racetech.de, now it has a compression and rebound damping unit. Sounds may be a bit overdone and it is not unexpensive, but hey.

The oil dip stick is completly self made (I know they are available) and fitted with a neodym magnet.

Hi Eldert, this is a really good fancy idea using the fork cap. But I also liked the idea using the cable seal system from the later Ducati models.

Cheers

Wolf

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:25 am

...I've just checked, the thread of the fork cap and that of the cable port are not identical on my bike...

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:54 am

Hi Wolf

early Marzocchi 35mm forks M30 X 1 threads . late Marzocchi M30 X 1.5 threads

Eldert

my oilfilter :
alu oil filter.jpg

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:33 pm

very nice!

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:48 am

Wolf,

from your photo it's not clearly visible which battery type you have installed. If it is stille a lead/acid you can cut an extra kilogram by changing to a LiFePO4. Also possible: use a voltage R-R that can operate with a large electrolytic capacitor as a short-time battery substitute, or even has one built-in. Such R-R makes a battery obsolete.
And a tip, from my own experience: omit the rubber bellows between carb and filter box. Run the machine with a K&N filter or similar. Will work much better. However, you might have to play with the jetting etc. to find the optimum working adjustment.

cheers Hans

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:45 am

Hans,
you are absolutely right, the lead/acid battery is the item if replaced saves the largest amount of weight (at the lowest costs!). In my case the new LiFePO battery has 1.4 kg less.
And yes, the odd rubber bellow is maybe the worst tubing possible considering it's fluid mechanical properties. I will consider a K&N filter type. On the other hand, I like the looks of the round air filter. And again, there is some additional potential for weight to be saved….I will see.

Kind regards

Wolf

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:39 pm

...another winter is gone and some lightweight parts made:

a titanium front axle and aluminum nut - weight saved comparable to two chocolate bars
Last edited by Wolf on Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”