1976 350 Road

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

George

Re: 1976 350 Road

Postby George » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:36 pm

I decided to check new piston dimensions. Have found that crown is 1mm higher than original piston. This is standard bore and judging by lack of wear on other parts I suspect this was the original piston.
Original piston: Tarabusi 76mm dia.
New piston: Wossner 76.5mm dia.
As an experiment I fitted 2mm spacer under barrel and tried kicking it without fuel and ignition. Still no luck. Having placed piston just past TDC then giving a firm kick I come to a dead stop near bottom of stroke and I am unable to get past TDC on firing stroke. It is as if piston is fouling head (it is not, with plug removed engine turns free)
I am going to try my friends 350 narrowcase scrambler in the week, as soon as he gets his clutch back together, and see if I can start that.
Question. If crown is 1mm higher would it be acceptable to machine 3mm off crown (there is plenty thickness). 1mm to bring to standard C/R 2mm to bring down to about 8-1 C/R
If that does not help me I might have to give up, I do not want to hurt myself, spent two weeks hobbling about and things take longer to heal as we get older.
If Nigel reads post perhaps he could give advice on forum to save me phoning him on a busy Monday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:16 am

It is a bugger getting old, and I know! I am considering selling my beloved 900 Desmo that I have owned for 40 years due to the weight and riding position. I think that the only answer to this starting problem in the long run is to buy a modern bike, and I will probably look at a Royal Enfield 350.

George, I know that it is not much help, but a 250 Ducati is much easier to start, so it would be possible to fit a 250 engine if you really wanted to keep the Road.

Cheers,

Colin

George

Postby George » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:23 am

Are you a mind reader Colin. After much thought I am going to make sure 350 is in good order and sell it. No good pretending I am 25 when I am 80. I will stick to small bikes in future and continue my hobby restoration of motorcycles. Fantastic verified green frame 750ss at show Saturday.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:58 am

The 750 Super Sport is a fantastic bike and I owned a 750 Sport for 35 years, which was the best bike that I've ever owned, but had to sell it when I got divorced to raise money. What peeves me now is not buying a 750 GT when nobody wanted one; they are so light and comfortable it would have lasted me to the end, but I am priced out of the market now.

So, is a 250 Ducati next on the list George?

Colin

George

Postby George » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:50 am

Colin the Elite is the best bike I have ever owned, waited 60 years before I could forfill my dream. Will keep it till I have to give up riding. Any Ducati single will be second best and having restored three it's time to have a change.
But first I have to sell 350 to get some funds.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:19 pm

OK, keep us posted!

George

Postby George » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:12 pm

Had an interesting chat with Nigel Lacey yesterday. He suggested checking C/R before I do anything else. Should have done this in the first place but sometimes you get so involved you make life complicated. If C/R is to high he told me that he would not remove more than 1mm from crown but there is plenty thickness in area where top of squish meets crown and I could take plenty off there.
Today I tried my friends narrowcase 350 scrambler with less than 1000 miles since restoration and started it easy.
Not giving up yet. :idea:
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:08 pm

It would be nice to sort out a solution George after all that work, and the 350 is a cracking engine.

Good luck,

Colin

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:05 am

Hi George , I am facing the same issues as you. 78 years young !!. I have just returned from stafford where I took 2 race bikes for friends.The Green frame was nice , but worth a pittance compared to 2 one off works specials I got to look after and fiddle with ( offers of £2 mill each from USA refused ! .) If I was you I would be fitting a decompressor, Have considered it for my MI spec engine . Have tried compression plates on other bikes but the difference was minimal. I have learnt to kick over my 250 with my left (good) leg ,when standing alongside or in saddle , ease a fraction over comp first,and flood well. Still a crazy balancing act though. I am so lucky to live on a steep hill ( bump start cold engine ) and if no go continue down hill to sons house !.If no hill consider a roller starter. Electronic Ignition and fat blue spark a must. My silencer looks good on your bike , Would not work with my bonkers camshaft. The most amazing bike at Stafford was easily the 250 vee twin 8 valve supercharged !930's Rudge . A factory design that never was completed (untill now).

George

Postby George » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:27 pm

Hi Bob pity I didn't know you were at Stafford we could of had a natter.
A decompressor would only help getting past TDC before kicking it over and that is not my problem, it's getting it past the firing stroke at bottom of kickstart lever that's the struggle. It just stops dead on compression. I did calculate C/R it is a little over 9.5-1. I am going to get my son (he is only 59) to start it and put some miles on it and then see how I get on. If it is still impossible for me to start I will make alterations to piston to reduce C/R.
It is keeping my brain and left leg active :D
George Essex UK

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”