Fuel taps and Stat-o-seals

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Pete

Fuel taps and Stat-o-seals

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:48 am

As I have mentioned before, my 1972 350 Road has problems with all the rubber parts cracking. So it should have come as no surprise when the fuel taps started leaking or rather gushing gasoline. I quickly purchased new taps on EBay. While I was waiting for them to arrive, I tried to find new fiber washers to put between the taps and the gas tank. I had no luck on line, so I thought I would try the local Yamaha dealer. A fiber washer is a fiber washer, right? As soon as I mentioned Ducati to the parts guy, I could see the eyes rolling around in his head. :? " I cannot help you unless you have a Yamaha part number", he said. What the heck? I remember when the parts guy was the smartest guy in the shop and could find anything. I guess not anymore! I ended up getting some Stat-O-Seals through work. These are like o-rings cast into a metal washer. They fit very tightly around the threaded part of the taps and the metal part keeps the rubber from squishing out when you tighten them.

My next problem was that the new taps would not screw into the tank. :x Upon examination, I found that the threads were malformed at the end, plus there was a lot of plating on them. I really did not want to send them back since i took me two weeks to get them in the first place. So, I thought I would fix them with a file. After a half an hour of careful filing, I got one of the taps to screw in about two threads. Enough of that! There was no way I was going to risk damaging the threads on the gas tank. I ended up taking the rubber seals out of the new taps and putting them in the old taps. Not the most economical solution! The old taps with the Stat-O-Seals screwed right into the tank. Of course, they don't line up. And doubling them up doesn't help since they are about 1 mm thick, same as the pitch. I may have to make some shims at a later time. I have not tried putting the gas back in yet. I figured if it leaks, it would put me over the edge. I will test it later.

Pete

MotoMike

Re: Fuel taps and Stat-o-seals

Postby MotoMike » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:13 am

wow. My 68 450 has the square plated brass valves, but so far they still work. I have thought about getting the replacement rubber which I have seen on one of the vender sites, but haven't gotten around to it yet. You might find someone wiht a die of the right size and run it down the threads to clear the deformity and excess plating.

I recently went to a kawasaki dealer and asked for a 45mm od by 36mm Id exhaust gasket. they asked me which kawi it was for. when I told them it was a 1969 Ducati. He just smiled, closed the parts book and said wait a minute. he came back with three drawers full of exhaust gaskets and a dial caliper. he said here ya go, let me know ifyou find one that will work. I don't know if that is how most people want to be treated, but it was what I was secretly hoping would happen when i walked in the place. didn't find it, but bought a pair of gloves from them.

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Head/Pipe Exhaust-Gasket

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:57 am

" I recently went to a kawasaki dealer and asked for a 45mm od by 36mm Id exhaust gasket. "

____ I have nos-spares of that stock ex.gasket, but you could substitute it with the equivalent for a 750/850-Guzzi part.

Dukaddy-DUKEs.
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

SubaruPaul

Postby SubaruPaul » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:10 pm

Which supllier did you get the petcocks from?

MotoMike

Re: Head/Pipe Exhaust-Gasket

Postby MotoMike » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:39 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:" I recently went to a kawasaki dealer and asked for a 45mm od by 36mm Id exhaust gasket. "

____ I have nos-spares of that stock ex.gasket, but you could substitute it with the equivalent for a 750/850-Guzzi part.

Dukaddy-DUKEs.
-Bob

Thanks Bob. I ened up ordering a few from Nigel Lacey along with some other parts. I was just telling that story to show that there are guys out there that are willing to help, and not all parts guys are tools. In the spirit of parts substitution, I was hoping to find a part that is readily available from a source found nation wide. not this time though.

Mike

dsmess

Postby dsmess » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:20 pm

Pete,

I got a 'replica' (Taiwan) tap a few years ago for my 750GT. It would not screw into the tank. I discovered the threads must have been cut prior to the chrome plating. After running it thru a die, it worked fine. This may be your problem.

Scott

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:28 pm

I gave up on italian taps and retapped my tank 1/4 bsp and now fit readily availiable british bike taps, blasphemy i know but i need to ride.

Wally Anderson

Postby Wally Anderson » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:59 pm

I have an aluminum tank made in Wales by Terry Baker (may he rest in piece) on my 250 bitsa so I also go to my friendly Triumph, BSA or Norton dealer for fuel taps.
Wally Anderson
State College, Pa.

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Fuel-taps Desire

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:58 pm

____ SEEMS you guys have gotten yourselves hooked on fuel-taps, ya should try to cut-back on that consumption... I've managed to have most all of mine last for decades (if not since the time when they were new, of course).

Jolly-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”