Does your single vibrate a bit?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

MotoMike

Re: Does your single vibrate a bit?

Postby MotoMike » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:07 am

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:" it looks like it is probably a sae type bolt. "

____ Wonder if it then appeared to be a 5/16ths or a 3/8ths thick bolt?

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob

checked today when I was checking them for tightness. it is a 5/16". seems kind of spindly. will be changing that eventually. looking for a drill long enough to get half way through the mounts.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:58 am

" looking for a drill long enough to get half way through the mounts. "

____ I'm a little foggy on this because it seems like I once indeed attempted to also drill-out the motor-casing's mounting-hole as well, but I'm sure that most of the times, that only the frame-holes needed to be drilled-out, (and only slightly so at that!), to accept the 10mm size bolt.
I'm now thinking that it may have been my very first time that I also drilled the motor-case's upper-mount hole (with an extended 3/8ths-drill), and then found that it really wasn't necessary. - (As my chosen drill only grabbed just a little bite well deep within the hole.)
So be sure to try your 3/8ths or 10mm bolt BEFORE you bother to drill any of the holes !

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:52 pm

Thanks Bob

As I inventoried the motor mount bolts and checked for tightness, I notice that there are a couple in front that appear to be SAE type and one is hardware grade at that.

Does anyone know a good replacement source for the bolts used on the engine? I see that on EBay, Stainless Cycle sells a bolt kit for the wide case engines, but it does not include motor mount or head bolts.

Do the parts books break down the bolts by size that go into these engines or are they listed by part number only?

Wally Anderson

Postby Wally Anderson » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi All:
I had the same problem years ago although not a Ducati single, I went to a muzzle loader store (not a problem in Pa) and bought a box of lead shot (around $5) filled the clip-ons, reinstalled the weighted bar ends, problem solved.
Wally

bettyann

Postby bettyann » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:16 pm

My 250 Monza was smoothe as silk, 350 sebring vibrated so much I'd have to put safety wire on license plate,& bracket ,tail light,
or when I got home from a fast ride in the country all I'd have on my back fender,was the light wires.
My 450 mk3 shook so hard,that when a friend would ride it that never been on a duke before, said it vibrates, more than a Norton or Harley. My first Duke was a new 200 TS in 1962,smooth. Capt Paul

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:37 pm

" Does anyone know a good replacement source for the bolts used on the engine? "

____ While not cheap, I believe that 'bsanut' on eBay sells them.

" I see that on EBay, Stainless Cycle sells a bolt kit for the wide case engines, but it does not include motor mount or head bolts. "

____ I once told them that they should not sell the 17 cyl.head cover-screws in the stock 15 or 16mm lengths because they are too short, and recommended 18, 20 or even 25mm lengths in place.
But I recommend that alum/alloy-screws be preferred over their s.steel units !

" Do the parts books break down the bolts by size that go into these engines or are they listed by part number only? "

____ Yep, the parts-books also give/tell the exact dimensions of every bolt & screw, on every entire DUCATI-model !

DUCATIly,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks Bob:

I looked in the tech section in the wide case parts manual. I could find the front mount bolts and the top rear but not the lower rear unless the front hole in the foot peg mount does double duty as a motor mount bolt.

those dimensions :
front mount- 8mmx100mm.

if this is correct, someone has put a larger bolt in the bottom rear position of the front mount on my 450.

top rear 8mmx225mm. This is the one recommended to be replaced with a 10mm bolt I think.

foot peg mount front hole, shown as 8mmx257mm. because it is an 8mm bolt, I think I probably am not looking at the correct bolt, but the length seems right.

If I can decipher the correct bolt lengths I'll try to order new ones.

I found that BSAnut is also EuroTrash Jambalaya. I don't find these bolts in his listing but will email him and find out.

guess I could just unbolt the existing ones and measure them.

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:51 pm

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:26 am

" I could find the front mount bolts and the top rear but not the lower rear unless the front hole in the foot peg mount does double duty as a motor mount bolt.
. . .
foot peg mount front hole, shown as 8mmx257mm. because it is an 8mm bolt, I think I probably am not looking at the correct bolt, "

____ While the more forward bolt-location for the foot-rest bracket seems to be as a motor-mount bolt, it's actually just a (8mm) bolt that helps hold the crankcases together & support the bracket for the foot-rests. _ For Scrambler-models, it was a bad choice because riders over 160-lbs could possibly overwhelm that thin bolt's strength and then let the rider's standing-weight crack the support-bosses of the case. - A real common-problem (understandably) for the 450R/Ts, in both the 8mm/front & 10mm/rear footrest-bracket bolt-locations ! _ I think the factory should've used 12mm-bolts for those brackets in those important bolt-locations, for all their SCR-models.

" top rear 8mmx225mm. This is the one recommended to be replaced with a 10mm bolt I think. "

____ That's right,, unlike stock, there ought to be a 10mm bolt in that location.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”