Does your single vibrate a bit?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

MotoMike

Does your single vibrate a bit?

Postby MotoMike » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:38 pm

I have owned 10 or so bikes in my life. 4 of which are singles, but this 450 is the biggest one. Is it just me, :shock: or do these bad boys vibrate a lot. My throttle hand is goin all tingly in about 20 or 30 minutes. I put a set of new Gran Tourissmo type grips on it and they help, but still pretty noticable. Maybe a throttle lock will be my next investment :roll:

JimF
Site Admin

Re: Does your single vibrate a bit?

Postby JimF » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:55 pm

My 450 shook a bit at its extremities, though in the saddle it was almost unnoticeable.

At the handlebar ends the 450 would eject mirrors, at the back end the 450 would break incandescent light bulbs, jettison license plates and as an extra courtesy it would mark any potential stress riser in every piece of metal behind the seat with a healthy sized fissure.

I don't recall the vibration at the grips being a PITA, but I know that disturbs some people more than others. I wonder if bar-end weights might help your situation?

Jim

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:11 pm

1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:31 pm

" but this 450 is the biggest one. Is it just me, or do these bad boys vibrate a lot. "

____ Yes, the 450s do shake pretty hard ! _ Even worse than stock if the motor-mount bolts are loose ! _ So make sure that they are all tight !
__ Also, with slight modification, the stock 8mm rear-bolts can (& should) be replaced with 10mm replacement-pieces. _ (As the stock 8mm-bolts are known to bust !)

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:46 pm

thanks Gents
Glad it's not just me :? I didn't mention that when it's running on the center stand, if you blip the throttle it'll walk right out the door!

Jim
That's a great description. I have replaced a headlight and a tail light so far, the mirror though useless while underway still is hanging in there.

Techardt
I like it. a fairly painless solution that will be worth it even if the improvement is minimal.

Bob. appreciate the confirmation on the shaking and the recommendation on the back bolts. don't have the prints here with me at work. what is required to upgrade the bolts?

regards
Mike

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi Mike

on the very early widecase engines the top rear engine bolt was a M8 bolt .
it got changed to a 10 mm bolt ( like the bottom one ) pretty quick into production

Eldert

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:54 pm

Mike:

I am also using a rubber R/T style of tail light holder on my bike.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=216&start=0

Should help a bit with the death rattle.

Will try to snap a pic and post it.
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:39 pm

" appreciate the confirmation on the shaking and the recommendation on the back bolts.
what is required to upgrade the bolts? "

____ And it's indeed true that they, (even 350/250s), do indeed walk across hard-floors while setting (& running) on their center-stands.
__ I have a (true) 1970-450Mk3D which had still come stock with the 8mm rear-bolt, (just as all OHC-DUKEs did until 1971), and after it had busted it's second stock-type 8mm-bolt, I then chose to force-through in it's place, a 3/8ths std.bolt (of about the same length), but, that bolt was so difficult to get back out (when the day came), that afterwords I chose to drill-out (only slightly) the pair of holes in the w-c frame and then used a (very-slightly thicker) 10mm-bolt instead, which could then be slipped-through, (if all the other mounting-bolts are loosened), into place.
That way, that important motor-mount can then be tightened harder, and vibration can then possibly be noticeably reduced. _ (Since mounting-bolts which are not real tight, may allow excess vibration.)

DUCATIly,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:37 am

took a look at the back bolts. the upper one appears to have been replaced already. it looks like it is probably a sae type bolt. will look into it some day.

vibrations or not, I am having a great time tooling around on the little Duc. I've a pudding bowl helmet with Italian tricolor stripe. I live in Harley country, so have been getting a lot of "what the hell is that" looks. 8-)

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:50 am

" it looks like it is probably a sae type bolt. "

____ Wonder if it then appeared to be a 5/16ths or a 3/8ths thick bolt?

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”