ducati 250 mk3 brake cable diameter

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Scottish888

ducati 250 mk3 brake cable diameter

Postby Scottish888 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:36 pm

Hi,
What diameter cable are you folks using for the front brakes?
I made up new cables using 2mm cable, it is not the lightest feel.
Regards

themoudie

Re: ducati 250 mk3 brake cable diameter

Postby themoudie » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:39 pm

Aye Alex,

Will measure up and post here the cable dimensions that I am using on the 450 MKIII front brake that is the same as yours.

I am using Ducati brake shoes re-lined by 'Safetek' and finished to the internal drum diameters that I supplied them. The stopping power cannot be compared with a disc brake set-up, but I am able to anchor up in short order and the material doesn't have any "warm-up" delays that can occur if using racing brake materials on a road bike in an urban situation. Girling AM4 used to be the lining of choice for the race track, but it's asbestos content makes it obsolete these days.

Here is Safetek's link: Safetek_classic_vehicle_friction_applications

I buy my cable supplies from Venhill, you may choose to purchase ready made cables direct from them.

Here is the Venhill link : Venhill_cables_and_components

Good health, Bill

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:38 am

Morning Alex,

Venhill's '1.5mm 1 x 19 galvanised wire strand, inner wire'. Along with Venhill's 5mm outer, with a 'Teflon' liner.

DO NOT USE 'WIRE ROPE'! Whilst this may be more flexible than 'wire strand' inner wire, it also stretches so giving you a spongy brake! :evil:

I know that many would advise using the '2mm 1 x 19 galvanised wire strand, inner wire'. But, I don't think that I am going to be putting any where near 0.64KN (472ft/lb) of force through the front brake. However, I am open to comment. :oops:

I also have a clevis arrangement for attaching the wire to the brake arm, rather than looping the wire around a pin that I have frequently seen. That doesn't do the wire strands any good.

Hope this helps. Bill

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:26 pm

Thanks Bill,

I also bought my cable components from Venhill but I chosse 2mm rather than 1.5, I'll go down to 1.5.
I can use one of the heavyweight front cables to make a new longer rear cable...if I need it.
I will be fitting the std footrests but I can't see what the original mounting looked like as my bike seems to only have half the bracket there.
I could use the rearset cable mounting but with a longer run of inner cable.
Does your bike have the original cable mounting intact, I would like to see a photo if poss.
Here are pics of the set up on my bike, not sure what they cut off from the original front mounting, could not be more than 10mm

Regards
Alex
brk1.jpg

brk2.jpg

brk3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:34 pm

Afternoon Alex,

I performed the same "butchery" on my frame to remove the stop lamp switch and brake cable retainer! However, I also removed the rear brake pedal pivot! :roll

I have a frame that has not been butchered, so will try and get you some measurements for the bent bit of metal that has been cut away to the rear of the pivot on your bike. You could, cut the rearset one from the rear tube on yours and then reweld it in place of the missing angled piece, without the long bracing piece. Looks as though it came out of Sullom Voe! ;)

Regards, Bill

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:10 pm

caveman engineering :D

Dodge

Postby Dodge » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:54 am

Photo of my 1975 Ducati 250 Mk3 rear brake lever. I have owned this bike from new and can confirm that it is unmolested. The brake cable is original. The brake light switch is not but it is OEM spec. Hope this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:32 pm

Perfect :) thanks

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:12 am

themoudie wrote:I also have a clevis arrangement for attaching the wire to the brake arm

Hello Bill,
How is your clevis attached to the cable inner?

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:35 pm

This is my arrangement, like Bill I am not a lover of solder-less screw on nipples. I made a flanged barrel and a long solder on nipple.
I also made a clamp on one for the clutch which does not damage the cable.
P1080005.JPG

P1080251.JPG

P1080253.JPG
Brian
Made in England

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”