12 volt battery spec

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

LaceyDucati

Re: 12 volt battery spec

Postby LaceyDucati » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:41 pm

Alex

As a business we don't sell batteries via the web shop any more because of all the regulations. However we can and do order them regularly from wholesalers and they just arrive via normal courier. Anyone in Mid Wales can always (theretically) order a battery from us and collect it, as long as we fill it for them. Therefore any local bike shop should be able to supply a lead acid battery. Also there are battery wholesalers often linked with agricultural/commercial businesses that will order in and supply any battery in their catalogue. Most battery companies have a "where to buy" search on there websites, certainly Varta does.

Regards Nigel

themoudie

Re: 12 volt battery spec

Postby themoudie » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:57 pm

Alex,

I will still be using the original Ducati alternator, I converted to 12 v using a chinese R and R.
Will that motobatt still be ok? I used a motobat 6 volts in the Ducati, the same model as your Morini.

I am sure others will tell me if I am wrong, :oops: but when I first converted the 450 to 12v it was using the Lucas 12v positive earth Zener diode and a Radiospares solid state rectifier, with power coming from the original Ducati Electronica alternator, with the two yellow wires connected to the rectifier and the red wire cut short and insulated. The 12v battery then took it's feed from the two other terminals of the rectifier and because of the positive earth Zener diode, the batteries positive terminal was wired to earth and the negative output was the power feed. Please bear in mind this was 1976! My electrickery is not the best, so please check elsewhere! :roll:

It sounds as if you have a similar, but negative earth system set up on your bike using the Chinese Rect/Reg. I do not see any problem using the Motobatt or any other lead acid battery with this set-up. The problem comes if you try to go down the fashionable Lithium Ion battery route. These are a whole different ball game and I wouldn't worry your head with them. But, if you wish to read about them, here is a link: Lithium_Ion_batteries Other makes are available.

I am very pleased to read that your "face peel" didn't! :shock:

Regards, Bill

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”