12 volt battery spec

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Scottish888

12 volt battery spec

Postby Scottish888 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:14 am

Hi Folks,
Converted my bike to 12 volts using a 5 wire relay as per info on this site.
What 12 volt battery spec should I fit? Not sure how many amps.
Plenty room around the battery tray.

Regards

Duccout

Re: 12 volt battery spec

Postby Duccout » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:33 pm

Nigel Lacey recommended a Yamaha battery on this site, which I've been running on my 12v 250, NTX7LBS.

Colin

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:17 pm

Yep, thats the one.
I couldn't recall what make model Nigel told me..it was an RD 250/400 yam.
Thanks

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:09 pm

This is the Yamaha type:
https://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery/12n5-5a-3b/
I used it on my 12V converted 350D for 30000km.

This one might also be used:
https://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery/ytx7l-bs/

See which dimensions fit your mounting situation ore needs. A genuine Yuasa is not mandatory, batteries with the model numbers quoted are manufactured by different brands.

cheers Hans

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:37 pm

Alex

The batteries Hans listed are the two that I've used. The 12n5.5a-3b is a perfect fit in the Mk3 tray and is cheaper, but the ytx7l-bs needs a little spacing, however it is sealed and is black and looks better. If you are fortunate to get a YTX battery with stickers on the case, you can peel them off and it looks even better. I think Varta batteries used to have stickers if I recall correctly.

Nigel

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:55 pm

Thank you all,
I can't buy Yusa or any other wet batteries in the UK due to the stupid no acid law which means you end up with a battery but no acid and impossible to get filled. Will have to look at gel batteries.
Thanks

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:23 pm

Aye Alex,

I use MotBatt batteries and couldn't care less about the dayglo yellow case and bungie/shock cord that I use to keep it in place.

Later today, I will post the battery reference number that I use on the 450 MKIII, with the 12v negative earth system. Also, the Moto Morini 125H, I also have a MotBatt with the 6v negative earth system and will post those details as well.

Good health, Bill

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:15 am

Scottish888 wrote:Thank you all,
I can't buy Yusa or any other wet batteries in the UK due to the stupid no acid law which means you end up with a battery but no acid and impossible to get filled. Will have to look at gel batteries.
Thanks

This is indeed a very strange regulation! Gel batteries contain the same sulphuric acid as the standard open ones. The differences are: the acid is no more a free liquid, but bound to a gel builder, and the battery is hermetically sealed. If you brake the case of both, acid will leak and contaminate or etch it's surroundings anyway.
A solution: go for a LiFePO4 battery. If you are an artificer, you can make a battery from single cells by yourself: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=https://www.kr26.de/el-0250-battery-49.html. This report was processed by Google's translator, so please do not expect a perfect English - as you should also not expect from me ;o)
Here is the link to the german webpage, for those who want to translate it by themselves: https://www.kr26.de/el-0250-battery-49.html

cheers Hans

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:12 am

Morning Alex,

MotoBatt 6v battery used on Morini 125H is a MBT6N6.
Dimensions, looking from the front of the motorcycle: Width: 98mm, Depth: 55mm, Height: 110mm

MotoBatt 12v battery used on 1974 Ducati 450 MKIII, with an Electrex STK163 Alternator fitted, MBTZ7S.
Dimensions, looking from the front of the motorcycle: Width: 114mm, Depth: 70mm, Height: 105mm

With both batteries I use dense closed cell foam rubber to cushion the battery within the battery tray and to provide packing around the outside, if necessary. I use a 'Junior' hacksaw blade to cut the foam and an 'Evostick' type rubber solution glue to bond the foam together if necessary.

Shock cord, available from sports/outdoor activity shops and some industrial fastener suppliers in vary diameters has proved very good at retaining the battery, rather than ozone/UV perishing 'rubber' imposter OME that lasts less than a year before disintergrating! :evil:

Good health, Bill

HANS

Soweit mir bekannt ist, ist es die Tatsache, dass der Motobatt hermetisch verschlossen ist und das Säuregel in die Matte aufgenommen wird, die die Gefahr des Auslaufens aus dem Batteriegehäuse verringert. Unsachgemäß verpackt wurde Schwefelsäure per Post verschickt. Bei der maschinellen Trommelsortierung von Postsendungen platzten diese unsachgemäß verpackten Pakete auf und die Schwefelsäurebehälter wurden dann von den Postsortiermaschinen gesprengt. Die Gel-Batterie, richtig verpackt in einem Karton, reduziert diese Risiken erheblich und kann per Spedition versendet werden. Gute Gesundheit, Bill

Inso far as I am aware, it is the fact that the Motobatt is hermetically sealed and the acid gel is absorbed into the matting that reduces the risk of leakage from the battery case. Sulphuric acid was being sent through the postal system inappropriately packed. With mechanised tumbler drum sorting of mail, these inappropriately packed parcels were bursting open and the sulphuric acid containers were then being burst by the mail sorting machinery. The gel battery, properly packed in a cardboard box, greatly reduces these risks and can be sent via carrier. Good health, Bill

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:46 am

Thanks,
I will still be using the original Ducati alternator, I converted to 12 v using a chinese R and R.
Will that motobatt still be ok? I used a motobat 6 volts in the Ducati, the same model as your Morini.
Just as this law was enabled I had ordered a bike battery with acid, the battery arrived but no separate acid pack, they had pre filled the battery. I took the battery out of its packaging, put it on my bench and as I was inspecting it one of the filler caps blew off and the acid sprayed over my face. The vent tube had been sealed to prevent leaks in transport so the gas pressure built up and being released from packaging went off in my face.
I rinsed my face immediately and was fine.
Last edited by Scottish888 on Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”