Engine rebuild

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Flyboy767

Engine rebuild

Postby Flyboy767 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:52 am

I’m about to embark on an engine rebuild on my 1965 250 Diana. Any suggestions as to special tools, tricks, tips etc?
Haven’t done a bevel before but I’ve rebuilt many other types of engines, both motorcycles and cars. I have the manuals for the 250 and it has a pretty good description of how to. Favorite vendor to get gaskets, bearings etc? I’m in NH USA.
1965 MkIII
2009 Monster 1100S

Bevel bob

Re: Engine rebuild

Postby Bevel bob » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:36 am

The correct flywheel puller , there are 2 types. A cam locking tool, a set of shims, a mikecrometer. Time and patience to do it again if its not right !.

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:17 am

Imho the following tools are indispensable:

- M55x1 flywheel puller
- extractor for rocker shafts (sliding weight on a threaded rod with end stop)
- extractor for lower bevel shaft bearing housing
- torque holder for clutch/crankshaft
- camshaft blocking tool
- fixture to attach a dial gauge to the RH carter (for measuring the crankshaft's axial play during the shimming job)
- threaded puller for primary cover
- micrometer screws for I.D. and O.D.
- torque wrench
- pliers for 15mm Seeger circlips

and:
- a comprehensive collection of shims in various diameters and gauges

not essential, but eliminates delay of your work due to the purchasing process of the individual gauges needed:
- a set of 8mm valve stem spacers/caps in various gauges

Most of these tools are depicted in the user manual.

Cheers Hans

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:08 pm

All good stuff if you can find them. I managed to remove the lower bevel bearing housing with a light tap from underneath with an alloy drift. Although I have a dial guage , I set up the crank shims tight and reduced to just free off. The outer case can be levered off with a claw hammer against the clutch with no damage. A valve spring compressor can be welded up from a universal type.

Flyboy767

Postby Flyboy767 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:26 pm

Great, thanks for all the good info. Sounds like I’m better off hiring someone to do it because by the time I get all the tools and the cost of them it will probably be at least half the cost. Anyone in New England willing to take that on???

Cheers!!!
1965 MkIII
2009 Monster 1100S

SubaruPaul

Postby SubaruPaul » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:18 am

Please post back when you find someone. In CT on the shoreline.

Not sure this outfit did the engine but I live close by and they are an impressive shop.

https://www.redlinerestorations.net/196 ... esmosedici

From my association they’re good folks there. I’m not tight with any of them but have a friend who has brought them plenty of business. Seems strange to suggest but the old days have gone past and with raising a family the past couple of decades I’ve not really seen any great presence for our bikes down here in lower CT.

Can talk about the “used to be’s” but that doesn’t do us any good.

Here’s one guy that worked for Ducati a short period but in the late 80’s and early 90’s as a shop manager and chief mechanic. Dave York who now owns Sound Motor Sport in Fairfield CT He had helped me with my ‘88 Paso. Knows old school tech and has worked on an impressive list of high end machinery two and four wheel.

Best of luck. I hope you find someone closer with proper qualifications.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”