Ducati rebuild. Here I go again

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

themoudie

Re: Ducati rebuild. Here I go again

Postby themoudie » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:21 pm

Looking very smart George. I hope that you are able to get some enjoyable miles under the wheels before the end of 2021.

Good health, Bill

George

Postby George » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:06 pm

Have had engine running on bench. Ticks over and picks up good when opening throttle with no problems closing throttle. I have retarded ignition a little as suggested by Bevel Bob with no ill effect. Will still kick back if I don't put after TDC on kickstart first. Compression is good.
The exhaust valve guide is letting through oil more than I would like. While waiting for DVLA I will get K-Liners fitted and renew valves. This seems the best solution, what with having new seats and the possibility of fitting new guides crooked in head and having to recut seats. I would be obliged if anyone can recommend a company to do this work. I am in Essex UK.
George Essex UK

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:34 pm

George

Andy at HT Howard has a good reputation for head work and I know they do sleeve guides. Maybe give him a call.

https://www.hthoward.co.uk/engine-machi ... -sleeving/

Nigel

George

Postby George » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:34 pm

LaceyDucati wrote:George

Andy at HT Howard has a good reputation for head work and I know they do sleeve guides. Maybe give him a call.

https://www.hthoward.co.uk/engine-machi ... -sleeving/

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, I sent them an email Friday evening, only because they had a good website. Good to have a recommendation though.
I sent you an email a few days ago that may have ended in your junk mail. Could you confirm that the Electrix alternator/ign. kit you supplied will continue sparking with ignition key out and I can only stop engine with kill switch.
George Essex UK

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:38 pm

Hi George
Yes it will unless the engine stop wire is integrated into the wiring as the self generating ignition circuit is completely independent to the charging system. As the ignition has no feed from the battery the original "ignition" switch will no longer isolate the engine. You will either need to to do one of the following:

a) Accept the ignition is not isolated and rely on a chain and lock!
b) Wire in a "secret" switch.
c) Use an alternative ignition switch that has two poles that earth when in the off position.
d) Wire in a relay to the "ignition" switch live that opens when the "ignition" switch is on and closes and earths the "engine kill" wire when the switch is off. This does however introduce another component to fail..... though if the bike stops due to relay failure it could be easily disconnected.

It is an unfortunate and inevitable issue when adding a modern self generating CDI ignition to an old wiring system. Unfortunately Elextrex does not offer any solution in there instructions. Hope this helps explain your options.

Regards Nigel

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:26 am

Hi George,

I don't know if you are going to deliver your head by hand or to post it, but I recently had the guides on my 900 Ducati sleeved by Gosnay's Engineering in Ilford, which is a fair bit closer to you. They seem to have done a good job (although only time will tell) and I chose them after finding out that they do all the head work for a well-known Ducati shop called Ray Petty Meccanica.

Let us know how you get on,

Colin

George

Postby George » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:51 am

Thanks Colin, I will give them a call Monday
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:34 am

The guy who seems to be in charge is an incredibly rude and brusque South African, who almost put me off going there, but having spoken to him a few times he seems to know what he is doing and does all the Ducati work.

George

Postby George » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:55 pm

Duccout wrote:The guy who seems to be in charge is an incredibly rude and brusque South African, who almost put me off going there, but having spoken to him a few times he seems to know what he is doing and does all the Ducati work.

Head taken to Gosnays today. Chap is quite brusque but pays attention to details and comes across as knowing what he is talking about. As existing bronze guide ends are tapered almost to a point he thinks they could crack when broaching for K-Liners and thought new guides would be better. I am going to get him to fit new guides and recut seats.
He is going to remove guides and measure diameter so that I know what size to order from Nigel.
I notice that replacement guides have grooves for seals if I fit seals should I still keep stem clearance at 0.013 to 0.057mm or would there be a chance of valve stem seizing through lack of lubrication. Hopefully Nigel will give me advice later.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:39 pm

It will be interesting to see how you get on George, I hope that it goes OK! The guy at Gosnay's prefers to fit new guides and tells me that when he does the guides for Ray Petty Meccanica he tells them what size he requires and they supply the correct sizes for him to fit. I asked him how he gets them in straight and he said 'skill and experience' so fingers crossed. Gosnay's have done two rebores for me on my 750 and 900 Ducatis and both seemed well done.

Let us know how you get on.

Colin

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”