Ducati rebuild. Here I go again

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Bevel bob

Re: Ducati rebuild. Here I go again

Postby Bevel bob » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:12 pm

Hi George, If Nigel does not have a silencer ,I have one I bought for my 250. Found it to be too restrictive for a tuned up 250 , I believe that the Mach 1 silencer had a bigger outlet than the std 250 silencer. I run a cheroot Norton silencer from a Dominator. A bit too noisy really , but looks almost correct.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:05 am

George wrote:
LaceyDucati wrote: Valve seats look almost new, could of been replaced, if so would anyone know a way of checking if for lead free petrol.

Ducati singles are so easy to work on the top ends, it could be reasonable to leave the existing seats even if not "unleaded-approved" material.
They could serve for another year or ten.

George

Postby George » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:14 am

Bevel bob wrote:Hi George, If Nigel does not have a silencer ,I have one I bought for my 250. Found it to be too restrictive for a tuned up 250 , I believe that the Mach 1 silencer had a bigger outlet than the std 250 silencer. I run a cheroot Norton silencer from a Dominator. A bit too noisy really , but looks almost correct.

pm sent
George Essex UK

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:54 pm

George

We do have exhaust pipes and silencers, like many other things we haven't had time to get them on the site yet. We are out of stock of N/C headers at the moment. If you are not sorted with Colin with the silencer give me a call.

If the seats are hard then they will be suitable for lead free, just try to scratch them off the seat area. All original seats were cast iron or bronze and are soft as such (at least before working on the seat area). I would never advise changing the seats unless they need changing, just run additives if necessary.

Regards Nigel

George

Postby George » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:28 pm

Had a call from chrome plating company today, tank should be finished next week then off to painter.
Engine rebuild worked out well. Looks to have very little use since last rebuild. Piston / barrel showing no wear. Big-end no play. all other bearings and seals changed whilst stripped down but not showing much wear. Electrix 60w alternator and ignition system fitted. Set up ignition by setting degree wheel to 46 degrees BTDC and lined ring mark with FA mark. Manual states 46-49 full advance. Will be easy to retard if to much kickback.

I have no idea if I have correct cam. These are the valve timing readings I get with 0.3mm tappet clearance and using 0.1mm feeler as per instructions in manual. Numbers in brackets are from manual 200cc engine from number 153911, I believe my manual is for A series engine and my engine number DM200 157880 is for B series engine. Unable to find any data for B series engine. Any comments if cam is good to use will be welcome.
Inlet opening 28 BTDC (34)
Closing 70 ABDC (56)

Exhaust opening 50 BBDC (70)
Closing 36 ATDC (24)

Valve has 7mm lift
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Essex UK

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:34 pm

Seems like an awfull lot of advance , I would be tempted to go with a few degrees less. Modern fuel is reputed to burn a bit faster.

George

Postby George » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:38 am

200cc engine rebuild completed with Dellorto UBF 24 BS carburettor. I hope I have more luck with carb setup than has been featured in so many posts lately.
Waiting impatiently for painter to finish frame, forks and tank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:24 am

Hi George,

Your cam figures are interesting, the nearest I can see to them is the 250 Monza at 20/70 50/30.

Colin

George

Postby George » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:33 pm

Little Ducati rebuilt. Started up 2nd kick today, ticking over OK. Waiting for tank and front mudguard Then DVLA registration. Hoping to have a few rides before winter.
Replacement Elite frame, forks, front mudguard, fuel tank. Changed engine for 200 Elite. That is why I have to register with DVLA
George Essex UK

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:25 pm

Looking good George, things are coming together nicely, it's always a bit of tense moment with any first startup, and rewarding when all is well. Hope you don't have a long delay with the DVLA.
Brian
Made in England

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”