Ducati rebuild. Here I go again

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

George

Re: Ducati rebuild. Here I go again

Postby George » Mon May 31, 2021 7:27 pm

Update.
Have got petrol tank to match frame and engine.
Everything now fits and time to strip down and visit painter. Engine and forks to be re-built while waiting for painter. No prizes for guessing what the finished bike will be,
My old bones want a bit of comfort now so no clip-ons and definitely no Elite seat. That looks as comfortable as a plank of wood.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Essex UK

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Mon May 31, 2021 9:11 pm

Aye George, pleased to see steady progress with the wee beastie.

Good health, Bill

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:10 am

Looking good! Keep us posted.

Colin

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:45 am

Good to see you are making progress George, I also like the the picture gallery. :)
Brian
Made in England

George

Postby George » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:55 am

DBDBrian wrote:Good to see you are making progress George, I also like the the picture gallery. :)

Well spotted. I couldn't have a better bike to copy Brian. Of course paint scheme, handlebars and seat will be different
George Essex UK

George

Postby George » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:15 pm

Parts left with painter and tank posted off for chroming.
Made a start on engine strip down. The signs are all good, better than other engine, over size piston, rings and barrel showing no wear. Head looks good but not dismantled yet. No play on big-end. It would appear that engine has been rebuilt and done very few miles. There is some side play on crank shaft to be checked and shimmed. Alternator looks new. two yellow wires only shall have to investigate when rotor removed. Clutch basket and plates look new with just 0.13mm wear. A good day today.
There is a worn engraving on right crankcase by bevel tube that looks like the Lamborghini bull logo, intriguing, I would love to know the story behind that. Engine number DM200 157880
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Essex UK

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:21 pm

George

It's a Later B series engine with the 250 based crankcases rather than the earlier 175 based engine. This is noted by the cylinder base shape.

Regards Nigel

George

Postby George » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:22 pm

Finished stripping engine today.
Cam and rockers good. Valves look like recent replacement, some wear on exhaust guide, inlet guide good. Guides are bronze with no provision for seals is this correct. Main bearings are replacements, good condition. gearbox bearings look original and will be replaced. All bearings to be cleaned and checked, all seals replaced. Clutch push rod is home made one piece with ball at either end. I would think this will put side load on seal and will change for correct part. General overall parts in good condition, gears, bevels etc, etc.

Attached photos of stator showing two wire setup. It would appear that this is a 40watt alternator with alteration to two yellow wires, solder looks new and wires at other end of coils look like they have been fixed with araldite or similar. Any advice welcome, could this have been changed to 12V? is there any way I can check and if so will wiring have to be altered with addition of voltage regulator / rectifier. I have been reading previous posts on this subject but electrics are not my strong point
Previous bike was wired as per workshop manual electrical scheme Ducati Aprilia three wire alternator yellow white red.
This is going to be my only bike as the Guzzi is getting heavy for me.
I only ride during daylight hours and find it hard to justify Electrix ignition / alternator cost, if anyone can give me sound reasons to change I'm all ears.
George Essex UK

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:34 pm

George
The guides on Italian 175/200's never had guide seals and just had a scraper chamfer on top. The 2 coil alternator is fairly low wattage, 40W if I recall correctly, There is not a lot of power for good lighting and 12v conversions are not usually carried out using these. Maybe swap the one from the other engine?
Nigel

George

Postby George » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:34 pm

LaceyDucati wrote:George
The guides on Italian 175/200's never had guide seals and just had a scraper chamfer on top. The 2 coil alternator is fairly low wattage, 40W if I recall correctly, There is not a lot of power for good lighting and 12v conversions are not usually carried out using these. Maybe swap the one from the other engine?
Nigel

Thanks for reply Nigel.
Cleaned up and checked head. Valves stems show no wear or rubbing marks, Guide clearance within spec, I will leave them alone. Valve seats look almost new, could of been replaced, if so would anyone know a way of checking if for lead free petrol. They are shiny when cleaned up guessing not cast iron.
The 125 engine, carb and exhaust has gone to a new home.
With regards to the alternator, I like your sales technique Nigel if you tell me I don't need an Electrex alternator/ignition system I want one :lol: Seriously if the rebuild continues to be easy there will be enough in the kitty to treat myself. I believe all I will need is 12v battery (what capacity?) and bulbs Will I need to change the two fuses?
I seem to recollect reading that you now stock exhausts, can't find them on your web shop. I am looking for silencer, clamp and downpipe.
There was no gasket between crankcases, I will be fitting one, I know I have to adjust crank end play should I be checking gearbox shafts
George Essex UK

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”