Progress on the 450SCR

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Teckhardt

Progress on the 450SCR

Postby Teckhardt » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:42 pm

I finally made some progress on my 450.

Got all the wiring buttoned up over the weekend. That was one project that I can finally check off the list.

Now I need to go shopping for some more parts:

New sprockets and chain (converting to a 428).
New header pipe and exhaust. Old one was not correct and was rusted out.
Get seat recovered.
Need to figure out what front brake I am going to use - modded Yamaha XS-1 or the stock Grimeca 180 or ?
Then its time for new wheels/tires (undecided on these as well).
1970 450 SCR

JimF
Site Admin

Re: Progress on the 450SCR

Postby JimF » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:07 pm

I used Tagasako rims. They are of a very high quality.

My only gripe is that they bear the Tagasako logo in a garish red color and an equally obnoxious script.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like having a Japanese name jumping out on my Italian bike. Between the color and the font, the names pops out when you look at the wheels.

The logo is probably anodized into the rim, It is quite impossible to remove. I tried everything including a light application of oven cleaner, all to no avail.

But I don't want to hijack this thread into something about logo removal, so moving forward let's keep this about rims, brakes and seat recovering.

Jim

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:49 pm

Duc Singles Admin wrote:But I don't want to hijack this thread into something about logo removal, so moving forward let's keep this about rims, brakes and seat recovering.

No problem at all. I appreciate the input, as I totally agree with the logo issue. Would bug me too.

As far as rims go, I am leaning towards the Excels from Buchanan's. The real decision is shouldered or not. I seem to go back and forth on that one.

http://www.buchananspokes.net/products/ ... m_rims.asp

http://www.buchananspokes.net/products/ ... m_rims.asp

Tires is a whole other issue that I am all over the place on.
1970 450 SCR

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:20 pm

Graham, glad to see you made it back OK.

I am going to try to make it over to Rich's Custom Seats in the future. http://www.richscustomseats.com/ They are only a ferry ride away. I have a spare seat cover off another SCR seat that they could use as a pattern. Was kinda thinking that a copy in leather would be nice too. No idea what they would quote for a vinyl or leather cover not installed but if its in the $200 range its prob not worth it to me.

If you are going to order from Amici dello Scrambler, please let me know.
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:13 pm

By: 'Teckhardt'...
" New sprockets and chain (converting to a 428). "

____ " So what's your reason for replacing the stock #530 with the more commonly used #428 parts?
What gear-ratio are you planning to use? _ Stock-450 -(3:1 or 2.67:1), or what?

" Need to figure out what front brake I am going to use - modded Yamaha XS-1 or the stock Grimeca 180 "

____ I'd always prefer to choose Italian-made parts for my DUKEs but, if something made in another country was actually notably superior, then I'd have very-little reservation to install whatever the best parts available.
However that was back when doing so did not much hurt resale-value, like it would do these days.
__ I'd say, try-out your experimental-brake, and save the stock-brake for when you may resell your DUKE. - (Although so long as your DUKE has any such major nonItalian-parts as part of it, then I guess I could possibly agree that your DUKE may be just a mere "bike" -[as the new-boys say these days].)

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:11 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:So what's your reason for replacing the stock #530 with the more commonly used #428 parts?
What gear-ratio are you planning to use? _ Stock-450 -(3:1 or 2.67:1), or what?

The stock 530 sprockets are hooked and should be replaced regardless. Going to a 428 chain will save on weight (about 2 lbs from rough calculation) from the heavy 530 and the modern 428 is more than up to the task. Many people have made this recommendation for the 450 bikes.

I plan on gearing up slightly to a 13 tooth in the front - that would be 2.77:1. Bob, if I recall correctly, I think it was you that recommended that somewhere.

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:I'd always prefer to choose Italian-made parts for my DUKEs but, if something made in another country was actually notably superior, then I'd have very-little reservation to install the best parts available.
However that was back when doing so did not much hurt resale-value, like it would do these days.

Yes, I would much prefer a nice 230mm magnesium Oldani, but alas my checkbook does not agree.
Last edited by Teckhardt on Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:22 am

" The stock 530 sprockets are hooked "

____ That occurrence is due to using a chain which has gotten stretched-out too far !
__ Whenever installing a new set of chain & sprockets, ya should also have a second new-chain...
Ya then use your first new-chain for 1000-miles, then install the second, and then rotate them every 2000-miles. _ As doing that will then double the life of your new sprockets !

" Many people have made this recommendation for the 450 bikes. "

____ Indeed I myself (back in 1974), switched my 450Mk3D's chain & sprockets over to #428,, with 50/16t-gearing.

" I plan on gearing up slightly to a 13 tooth in the front - that would be 2.67:1. "

____ If you think that over a little, you'll realize that that doesn't seem to add-up...
While I know that #428 13t-sprockets were once made, you'll no-doubt only have 14 thru 18t sprockets to choose from (and a 18t won't work in a wide-case model).
__ In order to get a "2.67" final-drive ratio with a 13t, you'd then need a 34 or 35t rear-sprocket.
The 450D came with a 32t, and the 450SCR with 36 or 35t rear-sprockets. _ What did your 450 have when you first got it, 35t?

" I think it was you that recommended that somewhere "

____ I believe that I did indeed recommend using a #530-13t in place of the too small stock-12t, but because it would be better for the chain's life (as well as waste a bit less power)...
__ What the number of teeth are chosen to be for YOUR sprockets, really should be determined by your DUKE's power-band & intended use for it.
I've now been lead to think that you have not yet worked that all out for yourself !?

DUCATIly,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:51 am

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:If you think that over a little, you'll realize that that doesn't seem to add-up...

My bad - s/b 2.77:1 I have corrected my post.

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:While I know that #428 13t-sprockets were once made, you'll no-doubt only have 14 thru 18t sprockets to choose from (and a 18t won't work in a wide-case model).

Nope 12-17 are available from Bevel Heaven.

http://shop.bevelheaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=167

I will be going with 13 front/36 rear.
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:15 am

" My bad - s/b 2.77:1 I have corrected my post. "

____ I was mainly referring to it seeming that you were still referring to a #530-sized sprocket choice, since you had then stated that you were "gearing up" to a 13t,, (when you were to have been expected to be referring to just #428-sizes).

" Nope 12-17 are available from Bevel Heaven. "

____ There must be some kind of mistake (along the line)! ...
Cuz I'm sure that there was never any (Ducati-made) #428-12t,, and besides, that small size would be too small to last long even on a 250.
__ Ducati only made their #428 drive-sprockets in 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, & 18t sizes, and their #530s in 12, 13, & 14t sizes !
__ Perhaps "Bevel Heaven" listed their #428 & #530 size-ranges both within that given tooth-range? _ If so, I would think that doing that could lead to ordering-errors.
(And it's sort-of seeming as if I may be in the process of preventing such kind of occurrence, even now?)

" I will be going with 13 front/36 rear. "

____ So am I to now assume that you've now re-decided to stay with the #530 size??
Cuz the smallest #428 that could fit on the rear, is 38t,, AND, a #428-13t on a 450 would be a big-mistake ! _ As the stronger 450 would soon destroy such a small 13t-sprocket, not to mention being extra very hard on it's #428-chain !
(However "13" & "36" in the large #530-size, would be okay though !)
With the #428-size, I'd highly recommend either a 16 or a 17t for a 450, and to very much avoid any smaller size than that !!

____ I wonder how much such sprockets are costing these days? ...
(As I still have a large collection of NOS & USA-made aftermarket sprockets which I should've started selling-off years ago !)

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”