380 cc Ducati racer

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

double diamond

Re: 380 cc Ducati racer

Postby double diamond » Sat May 01, 2021 3:49 pm

“Staccato” were products developed by Pat Townshend with Nova. The gears behind the primary gear identifies a six-speed conversion to the standard five speed transmission. You may have a “short stroke” 350 which would account for the 81mm bore. Measure the stroke length and do the math. Would really like to see what you’ve got there, sounds like highly modified race bike. There is a Facebook page for Ducati singles racebikes with some knowledgeable members. Might inquire there as well.
Easy way to reduce the size of pictures is to email to yourself. When you send, you’ll be prompted to select the file size. Chose a small file size. Then save the pics in you photo file and use to post here.

Matt

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Sat May 01, 2021 4:09 pm

Looks like the sixth gear employs an extension to the shift drum (or an entirely different drum) and a dog clutch to engage the gear. It would have to use an additional selector pin and detent. Nigel Lacey has a limited supply of Nova replacement parts. Best to identify your needs ASAP while parts are still available

Matt

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Sat May 01, 2021 6:13 pm

Hello Bill
I did know John as we raced at some of the same meetings in the UK and the continent. John used to invariably turn up to meetings with Bill Pilling and another guy (who I can't recall right now). Although we chatted I don't know much about his bike, so can't help much regards spec, I don't recall it being anything special performance wise.....

Pat Townsend marketed his Ducati parts as "Staccato" but his other products included Drums and Guitars. The extra gear is a six speed conversion and the extra gears you pictured were selected by the additional fork, I think the idea was taken from a five speed conversion used on the F3 175. Pat is also no longer with us, there was a web page somewhere a few years ago. The idea was all very well, but as far as I know it is just an additional gear beyond 5th. How much use that is in reality is debatable, as you either get an overdrive or a crawler gear depending how you gear the bike!

The reason you may only have 3 gears is the selector box may be on with it engaged 180 degrees out....a common mistake only made once!

I do have some early Nova gearbox parts as I took on all the parts on when I had Nova redesign their Ducati single gearboxes. The agreement was to maintain spares for five years for the old boxes which has now past. So what's on the shelf is it, but If there is enough demand we may consider commissioning new gears. Nova themselves no longer support the old designs or stock any parts.

John had a few bikes, so this could be a "senior" bike or possibly a "bandit" Junior bike :-)

Regards Nigel

Briobill

Postby Briobill » Sat May 01, 2021 7:17 pm

Hello Matt & Nigel
Thanks for the very helpful information regarding the bikes gearbox .
I went to garage and took the selector box off .
After opening it i removed the shaft with the pins and detents and took photos . It has 5 pins and 7 detents .
Nigel - thanks for the great information on John Spong , and the Staccato Nova gearbox . This has been very helpful .
Is the stock that you have only for the five speed box , or do you have the sixth gear pinions? The one that sits on the shaft behind the clutch is damaged on my bike
Regarding the "bandit " junior bike - - yes , I thought that might be a possibility myself . ;)
Regards
Bill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Sat May 01, 2021 8:21 pm

Aye BrioBill,

It looks as though you have a real "can of worms" there that should provide endless hours of engineering fun! ;)

The images that you are posting are also looking nice, clear and of good size.

To add to the ever growing info that you have, I have dug out a couple more links to websites that have information that might be of interest.

Ducati.ms_Ducati_SCD_350_thread

Staccato_(music_company)

Good health, Bang Bill

Briobill

Postby Briobill » Sat May 01, 2021 11:34 pm

Hi Bill
Thanks for the info .
Pat Townsend certainly seems to have been a talented guy.
It was interesting to read that the guitars were cast in magnesium alloy , and I am wondering if the Staccato dry clutch casing on my bike might be the same.
How can you tell ?
You're right , there are a few "worms" on this bike.
Another one is the non standard spark plug hole.
A plug / insert has been fitted in the cylinder head , giving a new , and slightly higher plug position .
I take it this is to clear the high domed piston.
There is also the Lucas Rita ignition , that i don't have a clue about , but that can wait until the mechanical work has been sorted out.
Thanks again
Bill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sun May 02, 2021 12:18 am

Last edited by Jordan on Sun May 02, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Sun May 02, 2021 1:13 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2829&p=21112#p21110

Does your primary look like this? I had this Staccato conversion apart some time ago. The primary cover was magnesium but the thickness of the sand casting resulted in a cover that probably weighed more than the standard aluminum die cast cover. This engine also had a Lucas Rita ignition.

Matt

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sun May 02, 2021 6:22 am

Briobill wrote: the guitars were cast in magnesium alloy , and I am wondering if the Staccato dry clutch casing on my bike might be the same.
How can you tell ?

You could probably tell by exposing it to the atmosphere.
Magnesium has a tendency to oxidise rapidly unless coated over.
The lovely gold paint on AJS 7R racing engines (cast in Elektron, a proprietary Mg alloy) is not just for show.
The Staccato guitar looks great - appropriate style for a heavy metal rock band especially.
It would be lighter than an aluminium alloy bodied one, but not as easy to keep looking nice.
The propensity of Mg to oxidise inspired Harold Willis to call it "electrified dirt".
Willis also coined terms like "double knocker" for DOHC, and "long hole" for an exhaust pipe.
More practically, he is credited with inventing the positive stop, reversible ratchet foot operated gear change - still current technology.

Briobill

Postby Briobill » Sun May 02, 2021 6:59 am

Hi Jordan & Matt
Thanks for the replies. Interesting stuff.
Yes Matt , the cover and guard look the same . They look quite grey in places externally , and interestingly, when I drained the oil from the engine, the inside of the clutch cover had a yellow gunge stuck to the bottom of it.
The rest of the engine cases were clean. Could this be a result of the oil lying there for quite a few years, and reacting with the magnesium? It cleaned off ok , and it has left no pitting marks or removed any of the paint? coating. It was strange how this gunge deposit was only found in the clutch / primary drive cover.
Bill.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”