380 cc Ducati racer

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Briobill

380 cc Ducati racer

Postby Briobill » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:34 pm

Hi all,
I am wondering if anyone can help me with information about a single cylinder racer that I have recently acquired.
The bike came from the collection of a chap called Bill Pilling, and has the riders name John Spong on the fairing screen.
It was apparently raced in the 2000 classic MGP.
I don't race myself, but have always been interested in the classic racing scene, and got the bike as an engineering project to work on in retirement.
The bike came as a non runner (reason unknown ) and no battery or chain were fitted. I fitted a new chain and turned the engine over with the rear wheel. The engine seemed to have good compression , but i could only engage three gears when turning the rear wheel, and moving the shifter by hand.
The bike was advertised as a 350 cc, and had 76.6 x 75 marked on the casing with ink marker, but on removing the cylinder head, I found the bore to be 81 mm !
It has a dry clutch with Staccato Nova cast into the casing, and has two extra gear pinions and a small selector drum behind the clutch basket and large primary gear.
It has a 38 mm Bing carburetor, but this was incomplete, and fitted loosely, so I don't know if it was originally fitted or just stuck on the bike for the sale.
Any information on the bike or past owner / rider would be appreciated.
Bill.

Jordan

Re: 380 cc Ducati racer

Postby Jordan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:40 pm

Narrow or wide case?

Briobill

Postby Briobill » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:06 pm

Hi Jordan
The engine is housed in a widecase frame.
The casing is stamped DM 250 - - - - - - - - but the rear mounting lugs have what looks like extension bosses welded on each side. Either that , or they have been strengthened up with weld .
I tried to add a photo but it said " error - file too large "

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:39 pm

Aye Bill,

Further information on John Spong's MGP racing entries and results can be found at this link below:

1993-2000_MGP_John_Spong_results

There are only 15 "John Spong" appearing in a database search of voters lists for the whole of the UK, so you might get lucky in contacting John himself.

Any bike raced around the Island gets a good hammering. As for the 81mm bore! :oops: What's a few mm between friends? ;) I suspect that the increase in bore and full bore running will have produced increased wear on the bore, if nothing else.

Enjoy the fettling and good health, Bill

graeme

Postby graeme » Sat May 01, 2021 1:49 am

Hello Bill (new Bill, not “bang” Bill)

Narrow case, the sump finishes about the clutch (short sump)
Wide case, the sump goes to the rear of the engine (long sump)

Graeme

Briobill

Postby Briobill » Sat May 01, 2021 8:07 am

Hi Bill and Graeme
Thanks for your replies. .
Bill . I checked out those MGP results. A finish of 36th in the senior , and a DNF in the junior.
I have tried to search 380 cc Ducati on the Web, but there is no information whatsoever.
The MGP results just say that the machine was a Ducati.
If he was riding the 380 cc in the senior , he was giving away quite a few cc's to the 500's.
I also came across Steve Carthy motorcycles in my search , and on his history page he has a photo of himself, and the late John Spong , so I think that this was the rider and he is now deceased.
Graeme . The sump is full length , so it must be a W/C with weld strengthening or repair.
I will have to find out how to post photos, as i have a few questions to ask about this bike .
I am not over familiar with the different Ducati engines ,
and even less so with the fitments and modifications of a race bike , but I'm sure that that i will get some of the answers from the guys on the forum.
Bill ( not Carb Bang Bill )

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sat May 01, 2021 9:20 am

You can shrink photos for free, using one of the online compression services.
Type "compress photos online" into your browser and try one or some.

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Sat May 01, 2021 9:27 am

Aye Bill and G'day Graeme,

"Bang Bill" :D that's some byname Graeme! Hopefully, to be cured! :twisted:

The Senior race bike was a Norton, Bill.

Also further down the page on Steve Carthy's historic images, below the one of himself, his son and John Spong, with the Cagiva GP machine is an image of John Spong on his '350' Ducati on the Billown Circuit. Here is the link to that image: stevecarthymotorcycles_image044

I would drop Steve Carthy an email and see what he says, he may be able to help with the Ducati's history and John Spong's race history.

As for loading images, there is a size and number limit on images, on this forum. Maximum of three (3) images and a maximum total image size of 500Mb. So one image of 500Mb or three of ~165Mb. I use a bit of free software PhotoscapeX to alter the clarity and size of the images that I post. Link: PhotoscapeX_link

I hope that helps.

All the best with the old bird.

Good health, Bill

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sat May 01, 2021 3:20 pm

I remember John Spong racing, but didn't know that he had passed away. I would think that Nigel Lacey may know something about the bike?

Colin

Briobill

Postby Briobill » Sat May 01, 2021 3:45 pm

Hi Jordan & Bill
Thanks for the info on compressing the photos. Hope this works. I'm afraid I am not very clued up on the intricacies of the mobile phone or trying to explain myself on forums.
I am posting a photo of the gear pinions, and small selector drum, situated behind the clutch .
Reading a previous post by Eldert , could this be a sixth gear ? Haven't a clue as to how it works ! Will there have to be an extra pin on the selector boss / plate inside the main gear selector box ? Any info ?
Bill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”