125 Sport camshafts

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

LexH

125 Sport camshafts

Postby LexH » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:27 pm

I'm looking for some help and advice with 125 Sport camshafts....

Photos 1 and 2 are the camshaft in my late production 125 Sport. I believe this is the mild touring 125 TS camshaft that was standard factory fitment in later 125 Sports. It has the letters "TS" stamped on the shaft.

I'm in the process of upgrading to something akin to the factory performance kit of the era, that being SSI 22C carb and performance camshaft to go with the high compression piston.

I've sourced a couple of longer duration camshafts, but they are clearly different and I'm trying to decide which to use. Photos 3, 4 and 5 show different views of these cams. The one on the left is, possibly, the earlier and more sporting factory production 125 Sport camshaft that was also used on the 100 Sport.

The one on the right is a mystery. It came in a complete, very early (s/n 2006xx) 125 Sport motor I sourced from Italy. It looks pretty radical, and also does not have the reduced shaft diameter typical of 125 and 100 Sport cams. Can anyone identify this camshaft? Could it be from a 160 MJ? I've heard mention of "sport" camshafts for 160 MJ but all the literature I have mentions only a mild camshaft similar to 125 TS.

I've yet to measure the timing of these two camshafts, but I've measured the base circles and lifts (at the cam lobes):
LH: base circle dia 24.7mm, lift 7.1mm for both IN and EX
RH: base circle dia 25.3mm, lift 7.2mm for both IN and EX

All help and advice much appreciated!
Lex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”