Amal on my 450

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Amal on my 450

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:18 am

" Well I pulled the 932 as the rebuild kit has arrived from Burlen Fuel. "

____ While installing your new replacement-parts, be sure to note all the jet sizes/etc. before (& after) your rebuild, as it would be interesting to try to determine what motor that carb originally came from.

" the manifold shows signs of someone hand working it into bell to match the carb.
I reached into the manifold to feel the joints over the vibration isolator and into the head's port it is pretty smooth as well. no steps. "

____ Well it now seems that that modified manifold-port was indeed done by somebody who really cared ! _ Thus it was most likely done by an owner rather than someone at a bike-shop (who merely wanted to get it running & sold).
__ Most often the port-ways don't line up evenly and there are thus steps left then, which tend to impede the air-flow somewhat. _ So even stock manifolds & head-ports need that kind of attention from caring-sorts.

" The manifold inlet where it mates with the carb is right near 32mm. Don't know what it was originally. "

____ Well if Eldert is correct, (no reason to doubt him really), then it's a modified original-manifold,, which had a 29mm-port straight-through.
__ It would've been better to have used an 850-Norton manifold which maintains the 32mm-port bore-size all the way through to the cyl.head intake-port, at which point the port-matching mod.work (which you noted had been done to make your manifold match the carb's 32mm-bore), would instead need to be done to the head's intake-port/inlet-mouth, (to eliminate the otherwise resulting 1.25mm-step).
__ The fact that your 450 did not also include a 850-Norton manifold, prevents me from assuming that your particular 32mm Amal-carb was taken from a Norton just as I had recommended to 450-owners, many times in the past.
So it seems that the person who installed that 32mm-Amal, got the idea independently and also cared enough to still include an extension-manifold, thus causing for himself that extra work & expense ! _ All of which leads me to suspect that his motivation was based on the same power-upgrading mods that I (or anyone else like-minded) had come-up with for the 450s. _ So I'm now wondering if your 450 may no longer employ it's original (overly mild) stock-cam !?
I suggest that you remove your 450's bevel-cover and look to see if there's any sign, (such as the camshaft-nut's locking-washer has been reused), that it's camshaft is not the original White-cam.
If you're in further luck, it may have the Special-order (real)- 450-cam installed.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

MotoMike

Re: Amal on my 450

Postby MotoMike » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:47 am

got the carb back on and my new throttle cable and grip installed tonight. getting her sorted out. after a few tuner runs, I noticed the tail light lens hanging by a single screw that was on it's last thread. So that was it for tonight.

Bob, when my tach drive arrives, I will be pulling that cover and will take a look at the cam bevel locking washer.

thanks
Mike

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”