Amal on my 450

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Amal on my 450

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:44 am

" so I thought I would take a picture of the Amal 930 bolted directly to the head. "

____ Thanks for that pic, Pete!
I had been looking for any picture much the same as that, to add to this thread (and now I no longer need to)!

____ Concerning another topic about fuel leaking down into the oil-sump... When the carb is mounted at a forward-angle like that, then ALL the leaking-fuel goes down into the engine, rather than some portion flowing backward to soak into the air-filter.
Of course both ways are to be avoided !

____ So Pete, what's the story on your cyl.head's compression-release area no longer being as stock, (as can be noted in your pic) ?

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:11 am

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:

____ So Pete, what's the story on your cyl.head's compression-release area no longer being as stock, (as can be noted in your pic) ?

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob

That's the way I bought it. It doesn't seem to be a problem and I really don't want to pull out the plug for fear of what I might find. The gas tank had one of the petcocks replaced with a 1/2" bolt!

Pete

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Pete wrote:
DewCatTea-Bob wrote:

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob

That's the way I bought it. It doesn't seem to be a problem and I really don't want to pull out the plug for fear of what I might find. The gas tank had one of the petcocks replaced with a 1/2" bolt!

Pete

I am not seeing what you guys are talking about. can you explain?

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:05 pm

Hi Mike,

It is a little off topic, but the compression release on my 350 lives in a hole in the head. It looks like a spot for another spark plug. You can see it behind the left side of the oil return line. My particular engine has the compression release removed and the hole plugged with a socket head screw. I hope the picture of the Amal was helpful to you.

Pete

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:04 pm

Pete wrote:Hi Mike,

It is a little off topic, but the compression release on my 350 lives in a hole in the head. It looks like a spot for another spark plug. You can see it behind the left side of the oil return line. My particular engine has the compression release removed and the hole plugged with a socket head screw. I hope the picture of the Amal was helpful to you.

Pete

hi Pete.
Yep, I see now that the 900 series can definately fit right on the head.

I was not aware of the compression release of the type you have. Mine was on top of the valve cover. thanks.

Mike

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:17 pm

The compression release was fitted into the cylinder head near the oil drain tube on some Spanish built 350 engines, notably the 350 Road.
It was similar to that fitted to the 450R/T although I think that the thread was different.
The 450R/T decompressor used a 10x1 thread, whereas the Spanish Road models used a 10x1.25 thread. (I stand to be corrected if someone knows better)
Strangely, the Spanish built 350 motors supplied to Bologna for fitting into the late 350 Mark 3's were fitted with the decompressor on the rocker cover, just like the Italian engines.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:00 pm

" It looks like a spot for another spark plug. You can see it behind the left side of the oil return line. "

____ It was that oil-line that was most noticeably out-of-place on that 350-model !
I could not currently come-up with a pic of the 'Road' model but I am posting a pic of a 'R/T' model, showing the same type of set-up.
__ While the R/T has the same threads as a 10mm spark-plug, the compression-release on the Mototrans-head unfortunately uses the coarser (more common) metric-thread.

____ Pete, how long have you owned that 350-Road of yours?
Cuz I have some three year old pix of another 350-Road (of someone's) which also has those stock parts replaced, just like yours, (which is unusual!). _ So maybe either we've made contact before or I got the pix by a previous owner.

DUKE-Cheers,
-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:37 pm

Looks like you have a fuel leak mike.

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:22 pm

Bevel bob wrote:Looks like you have a fuel leak mike.

are you looking at my mine or another?

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:06 am

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:____ In any case, the alignment-matching of all the intake-tract's port-mouths, ought to be checked-out anyhow, (to see if that unstock set-up was done by someone who actually cared about doing it well).

Happy-Cheers,
-Bob

Well I pulled the 932 as the rebuild kit has arrived from Burlen Fuel. I checked the bore in the carb and it is in face 32mm. the manifold shows signs of someone hand working it into bell to match the carb. The manifold inlet where it mates with the carb is right near 32mm. Don't know what it was originally. the modification is all done in the first 3/8 inch or so so the change is fairly steep but smooth. I reached into the manifold to feel the joints over the vibration isolator and into the head's port it is pretty smooth as well. no steps.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”