Veglia calibration

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Jordan

Re: Veglia calibration

Postby Jordan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:48 pm

That's the highest quality hand held tacho I've seen.
Looks like the rev counter on a Manx Norton.

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:59 am

Bob, 7000 in 2nd up the high St, you were a very "naughty" boy.
Perhaps my posting was a bit vague. The Chronometric is fitted to my 200ss, my thoughts being you would be more than welcome to borrow it to check your Veglia, had you been closer.
I have been to the TT and Manx on many occasions, on both 350 and 500 Goldstars and a 900 Ducati , great times, but not for a while now.
P1080117.JPG

Jordan, yes the Smiths taco is a nice piece of kit, my brother has one calibrated to 50 k.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian
Made in England

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:32 pm

That Smiths Chrono looks as if it belongs , almost as good as a white face Veglia. I remember having a small Smiths RC on the 64 Mach 1 new from V.Camp . Driven off the crank. 8400 on Mach 1 gearing in 5th was going some in those days.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:15 pm

The adjustable red marker is a nice touch.
I had a Chronometric face made with a painted red zone, but yours looks absolutely correct.
Maybe it's a tell-tale type pointer, that records the maximum used revs?

Smiths Chrono gauges have a functional and handsome aeronautical style.

Here's a blog by a retired instrument maker, and lots of other good stuff to read:
http://velobanjogent.blogspot.com/search?q=Chronometric

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:51 pm

Yes it's a Tell-Tale taco from a Van Dieman race car, (maybe Ayrton Senna's :D ) I made and fitted the brackets using a normal case, as I didn't want to destroy the original with it's reset button as they are quite valuable.
The indicator needle is just set in position, if I over rev, I will have to strip and reset it. The angle drive facilitated a nice cable run.
P1040562.JPG

P1080144.JPG

Thanks for the link, very interesting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian
Made in England

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:03 am

DBDBrian wrote:The indicator needle is just set in position, if I over rev, I will have to strip and reset it.

Punishment enough.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”