Diana Tank identification

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

mark3kb

Diana Tank identification

Postby mark3kb » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:05 am

Hello, I have this Diana tank, large capacity 17 litre model. Can anyone identify this tank based on the underside pic. From the top side, it is identical to a early Diana 250 tank. thank you Kurt
IMG_1456.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JimF
Site Admin

Re: Diana Tank identification

Postby JimF » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:09 am

I have the same tank on my 250 bitsa, so I can’t say what model it was originally fitted to.

It’s not a Mach 1 or a Mark 3 tank as it looks to be lacking the crude indentation on the rear right-hand side that is required for clearance when the engine wears a Dellorto SSI 29.

It could be the type fitted to the US market Diana’s of the early 1960s, or the later US Sebrings (UK market Diana).

It’s a beautiful tank.

Jim

mark3kb

Postby mark3kb » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:19 am

Hello Jim, thank you for the response. I thought it may very well be a wide case tank but then it would have the screw wells for the badges on the inside of the tank. I know the early Diana tanks were symetrical but the areas where the petcocks mount are wider on the those tanks. This area is quite narrow on this one on both sides. Strange, but the rest of it is exactly the same as every 17 litre Diana tank I have ever seen.Its definitely the correct look for a Diana 250 Bitsa.......... much appreciated info,
Regards
Kurt

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:52 pm

Hi Kurt,

I hadn't considered the wide case models, but there was a tank with that shape for wide case models...

The wide case version of the tank has a large gap underneath at the back end owing to the requirement that if fitted to a 450 frame it had to clear the 450's frame stiffening brackets.

I've included a photo of a wide case wearing that tank wearing it's period paint scheme.

As you mentioned though, if for a wide case it would have the integral holes for mounting tank badges.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:46 pm

I was told on very good authority that this type of tank was installed on a 175 or 200 model. Looked in the 175/200 service manual but none of the model illustrations show that tank. But I have seen that tank on one of the smaller bevel singles. It was also used on the 250 F3.

Matt

mark3kb

Postby mark3kb » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:53 pm

Thank you Jim/ Matt, for investigating the tank in the service manual and the pic. That does make sense ,because the only other tank i have seen that u shaped bracket underneath on, is an 175 Jelly bean tank, of the same earlier era(or era that is close to what you have mentioned) I have never seen that detail on the bikes between 61 to 67. cheers Kurt

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”