Rear Fender Hole Location

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

JimF
Site Admin

Re: Rear Fender Hole Location

Postby JimF » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:47 am

I put some blue painter's tape around the lip of the fender along the side and pressed it flat adjacent to the hole.

fender 1.jpeg

I took a black indelible marker and made a mark where the blue tape curled under the edge of the fender, then I made a mark where the center of the taillight wire exit hole is.

fender 2.jpeg

With the marks on the tape I peeled the tape off, laid it flat and measured the distance between the two marks. I came up with 1-3/8" from the bottom edge along the curvature of the fender to the center of the exit hole.

Using blue tape again I placed the tape on the fender alongside where the taillight bracket bolts go through the fender and pressed it on the fender and in line with the fender to where the taillight wire exit hole is. I marked the center of the taillight hole and the center of the taillight bracket bolts. I took the tape off and laid it flat to measure the distance between the two marks.

The distance rearward from the taillight bracket bolts to the wiring exit hole is 2-3/8" along the curvature of the fender.

If you locate it right the hole will be behind the frame loop.

I'm not sure how accurate the repro fender is but you can see that the hole location on my fender is conveniently just beyond the integral wire clip.

fender 3.jpeg

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nalimugmug

Postby nalimugmug » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:29 pm

Hi again.

4 M1 mudguards- all tail light holes in approx same position.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nalimugmug

Postby nalimugmug » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:30 pm

More pics.

blaat!

Postby blaat! » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:28 am

Width is not far off at roughly 95mm:
fender-hole-6.jpg

Overall length is about 15mm shorter (I think, right?):
fender-hole-7.jpg

This is what I'm thinking:
fender-hole-8.jpg

It looks like 43mm from the fender edge to hole center on your four M1 fenders is consistent (no judgement on you hoarding all those Mach 1s :D). The hole at the fender/frame mount (photo above at "0mm") is the closest landmark along the "spine" of the fender. If the hole I drill is off from that landmark, it will be the most obvious. If I get a measurement up from there I'll be out your hair... at least until my plate holder and brake light arrive :lol:

Genuine thanks for your help Bob and Jim!

nalimugmug

Postby nalimugmug » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:52 am

Hope this helps

Bob

blaat!

Postby blaat! » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:25 pm

Ah, 35.5mm from the fender edge to the hole center. I definitely misread the lines on that tape. That makes more sense as it jives with Jim's 1-3/8" dimension. Five out of five Mach 1 fenders agree :)

I just did a quick check and it appears that the hole will end up in the expected location with respect to the frame loop.

Thanks All!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”