Swing Arm Bushes

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Elitepete

Swing Arm Bushes

Postby Elitepete » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi, has anyone considered or used polybushes for the swing arm bushes instead of brass or bronze? Swing arm movement can't be more than 5 -10 degrees, which is probably less than most car suspension bushes and they work well enough there. :?:

Duccout

Re: Swing Arm Bushes

Postby Duccout » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:31 pm

See here:
Ducati Road swingarm bushing set. Composed of 4 plastic caps of 33.50x29x22. For better assembly and positioning, it is supplied in 4 bushings instead of two (2 for each swingarm support). Remanufactured in POM Acetal Resin

These are Mototrans bushes that seem to work well enough.

Bob_Matthews

Postby Bob_Matthews » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:05 pm

Do you have a link for these bushes Colin?
The taking out of the swinging arm is on my 'to do' list as there's lots of stiction in the spindle area.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:08 pm

I think a car would be more forgiving of wobbly suspension than a motorbike.
There must be a limit to the length of bushes, as the ends of Ducati swingarm tubes are counterbored, iirc.
It would be good to have bushes as long as possible, especially if they are compressible.
The most famous frame - Norton's Featherbed - used bonded rubber swingarm bushes to good effect for the roadgoing versions, but for racing bronze bushes were fitted.
Small bikes like my Yamaha YL1 also used bonded rubber bushes, which are virtually everlasting.

George

Postby George » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:39 pm

Bob_Matthews wrote:Do you have a link for these bushes Colin?
The taking out of the swinging arm is on my 'to do' list as there's lots of stiction in the spindle area.

Link for bushes and swingarm shaft. I have just fitted these bushes and new shaft with no problems. Not been on the road yet so unable to tell you how they perform.
http://recambiousado.com/venta/index.ph ... er=product
http://recambiousado.com/venta/index.ph ... er=product
George Essex UK

Bob_Matthews

Postby Bob_Matthews » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:13 pm

Thanks George, appreciated :)

I had looked on Jesus' site but couldn't find a good translation for swinging arm!

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:27 pm

My tablet automatically translates it.

Kabi

Postby Kabi » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:05 pm

Hi guys,

according to swing arm bushes topic, i’ll place a question.
I have monza 160 and in few days i want put the frame together after painting.
The question is: does the swing arm move freely? Even when i put back the rod thru swingarm and frame, the swingarm is not stuck, but movement is really heavy.
The bronze bushing look almost as new.

Thank you
-----
Kabi

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:56 pm

The swinging arm should move freely, but they can get stiff quite easily without lubricant; probably a silly question, but have you greased the bushes and pin well? As long as the pin goes through the bushes easily it is probably OK and I would probably leave it to run in as you ride it, you don't want to put anything abrasive in there which would leave residue embedded in the bronze.

Kabi

Postby Kabi » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:31 pm

Duccout wrote:The swinging arm should move freely, but they can get stiff quite easily without lubricant; probably a silly question, but have you greased the bushes and pin well? As long as the pin goes through the bushes easily it is probably OK and I would probably leave it to run in as you ride it, you don't want to put anything abrasive in there which would leave residue embedded in the bronze.

well, that sounds to me, i have a little problem :roll:
Because if i insert the rod, hardly - have to use hammer and wood plate, through the frame etc. it is stiff even if greased the bushing.
I dont have picture of bushing now, only the rod - he lost some material and the surface isnt perfect. But there is no oversize mound (if i can use this word)

(im sorry, my english isnt that good)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-----
Kabi

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”