Project Vento has begun: help wanted.

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

veloduke

Re: Project Vento has begun: help wanted.

Postby veloduke » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:04 am

Hi

I have two 250's, one runs electronic ignition and the other uses points.
Both start and idle well, so if it works on points I'd be inclined to leave it like that.
I changed the one bike from points to electronic because I was having issues getting it to run properly. Turns out it was nothing to do with the ignition, it was carb/air filter problems.

As for ignition timing, I used the Italian settings on my Road 250 as a starting point, then tweaked it until everything felt right, i.e. easy starting, steady tickover, running smoothly. IIRC, I retarded it slightly, since the engine I have has a longer stroke than the Italian 250.
Cheers

Max

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:08 am

The Vento handbook shows the fully advanced ignition timing to be 30 degrees BTDC.
Bologna usually recommended 33-36 degrees advance.
You could easily advance your Vento a few degrees without any problems.
Just try a few slightly different settings and see if there is any difference.

If you're not going to do a high mileage, I would stick to the points ignition.

The switch gear does look a bit like the contemporary Lucas switch gear, particularly the angled dip and indicator levers.
It was produced in Spain by Motoplat and used on a few other Spanish bikes at the time, Sanglass and Bultaco both using it on some models.
Not the best switch gear ever made, but adequate.

Jon

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:24 am

Latest problem: I've been trying to get the calipers apart, and one Allen-headed bolt rounded out. I was using a snug-fitting bit with an impact driver, but it just rounded out. So now I'm going to soak it in penetrating oil for a week, then drill out the back of the bolt, then drill in the front, insert an ezy-out, heat the back, and try to remove it.
If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be really grateful. Or an 05 caliper for sale.

Thank you.
be nice, I'm not very bright.

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:14 am

Aye cooperplace,

Rather than using an 'easy out' that can snap and then you are left with hardened tool steel in the hole, I use left-hand drills. Should be available from a good tool suppliers. As you progressively increase the drill size, so the turning forces increasingly are trying to unscrew the bolt remains. Many times I have not needed to restore the thread as the whole remains have come out. If you don't have PlusGas 'A' or similar, a 50:50 red diesel and paraffin mix work well.

All the best, Bill

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:36 pm

cooperplace wrote: stick with coil-and-points or go aftermarket electronic? Bearing in mind that I'll do v few miles on this, so points wear won't be an issue.

If staying with points, it often happens with infrequent use vehicles, that that they are affected by oxidation, making starting difficult.
LIghtly wiping them with fine abrasive paper, followed by thin cardboard (eg business card, to remove any grit) can improve.

I keep a small strip of fine wet&dry in my wallet, for my bikes with points.
I think electronic ignition can give better starting, largely because it doesn't have the oxidation issue.

Early Ducatis had a single spring (straight bar) on the chrome points cover that could be swung out of the way for quick access.
The double spring arrangement on later bikes isn't so convenient, but can be changed to single spring as per originals.
I have had it that way on my single and 750GT for decades.

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:42 pm

Because your calipers are alloy and you are going to replace all the rubber bits and possibly the pistons as well there will be no harm in using a bit of heat on them to expand the alloy round the allen bolt threads (use a hot air gun) if you go for the next biggest size allen key and carefully grind it down to a taper then (and this is a bit crude) hammer it into the allen bolt head, put an extension tube on the key and with the heat and firm progressive pressure it should shift it. I have ruined allen bolt heads with an impact driver too.....the hex is too small for the bolt diameter and the hammer action and will often round it out. good luck with it.
Cheers,
George

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:51 am

Hi George and everyone else, I did as advised. Drilled out the back, hammered in a larger Allen key, applied heat, and out it came. Many thanks for all the advice and tips.
Peter

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:25 am

blethermaskite wrote: <snip> if you go for the next biggest size allen key and carefully grind it down to a taper then (and this is a bit crude) hammer it into the allen bolt head,

Good one, George. Might be crude, but can be mightily effective :) . Her'e my own version. Haven't used it in the last 20 years, but who knows when the day may come again? :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:25 am

The hydraulic brake lines all show cracks, so it won't get thru its roadworthy check, and besides, I'd like to have nice new ones. Should I go for a different color? Any thoughts?

Right now I'm focusing on getting the mechanicals Ok, with paint etc next. But if I do go for a non-std color (eg Ducati yellow) then I could get brake lines to match. Or maybe have a red theme?

Feel free to disagree.

Thanks.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:31 am

I think that black goes with anything.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”