New owner 67 250 MK 3

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

tonyduc

New owner 67 250 MK 3

Postby tonyduc » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:33 pm

Just picked up a 67 MK 3, overall needs parts and restoration but a solid bike to start with. Not my first single but the first I’m going to have to do serious work on. Still waiting for shop manuals to arrive, but I want to remove engine side covers for a quick inspection of what’s there. Other than removing the screws anything complicated about just removing covers ? Left side looks bit more complicated.

I need some missing parts if anyone is selling:

Clipons with levers,
Electrical and ignition,
Headlight and ring,
Cables, brake, clutch, throttle, speedo,
Tach and cable,
MK3 tool box side covers L & R.

Thanks
Tony

If anyone has these parts ok
1967 Ducati 250 MK3
1976 Moto Guzzi T3
Former:
1969 Ducati Scrambler yellow

themoudie

Re: New owner 67 250 MK 3

Postby themoudie » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:19 pm

Aye Tony,

Welcome to the forum.

Still waiting for shop manuals to arrive, but I want to remove engine side covers for a quick inspection of what’s there. Other than removing the screws anything complicated about just removing covers ?

Be patient! :twisted: There is nothing complicated behind the outer cases, but there are shims that are specific to their position and if you get these muddled you will make a slow process of re-assembly more tedious. To strip a motor may only take 4 hours, but to re-assemble correctly can take 2.5 days. If you juggle the shims etc. you can double that easily! :evil:

If you pull the timing case (right front) off, having removed the points and advance and retard mechanism (mark the points back plate position before slackening and removing), you can also alter the timing gears position or have it and the shims drop out on the floor! :oops: And if you haven't lined up your timing marks beforehand then the timing marks on the camshaft end and the upper bevel drive may not be aligned. :oops:

Await the manuals, read them thoroughly, have a wee digital camera/phone handy, a micrometer and a good ringbound notebook and pencil for all your notes and diagrams of the order in which things are located and their measurement. You may be lucky, but I would imagine others have been where you are going and they may have either lost or misplaced items. Check against the exploded diagrams in the workshop manuals.

If you are still discombobulated :!: use the 'Search' window, top right of the screen on this forum and if you still can't find the answer, ASK! :D

Good health, BillR

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:11 am

You also need to be clear what you have , A 67 mark 3 can be a narrowcase or a widecase many parts are not interchangeable , Sounds like you have a widecase. I have some new parts for my bike,bought from an Austrailian expert that are no use whatsoever.

tonyduc

Postby tonyduc » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:46 am

Thanks for the advice. It is definitely a NC.

Tony
1967 Ducati 250 MK3
1976 Moto Guzzi T3
Former:
1969 Ducati Scrambler yellow

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:56 pm

When you said missing sidecovers thats odd. The NC toolbox lids are not really removable. Look on the RH fork leg for dating info, My guess is its possibly earlier. My 69 is actually a 67. As said,expect bits missing ,bad assembly. etc. check everything ,assume nothing.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”