450 desmo carb

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Beach Life

Re: 450 desmo carb

Postby Beach Life » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:11 am

Thanks Duccout and Graeme. There are a few on ebay, everything quite pricey, even 2nd hand, people are trying for top dollar, so I thought it just as well to buy new from Dellorto agent rather than someone else's worn out carb. Just trying to get everything worked out so I can get everything in one order, cos being in New Zealand, it's not just down the road, although some freight times internationally have been better than getting something across the country! I only want to do it once, so may as well do it properly.
Cheers,
Bernard

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:15 am

You are right to be wary, parts are so expensive, not to mention postage that it can add a lot to the final price. Fingers crossed that it works right straight out of the box.

graeme

Postby graeme » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:00 pm

Thank you Colin
I’ve not heard of that type of 32phf
Were they on late model Darmah’s or a country specific (California) thing?
Graeme

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:13 pm

Hi Graeme,

That I can't tell you, although they were common enough to be listed in the Darmah W/M. The designation is CD for the front cylinder and CS for the rear, so I'm guessing that they were a proper model from Dell'Orto, probably with no venting to the air. The 40mm Dell'Ortos on my 900S2 also have no vents to the air, so maybe it was a later model fitment as pollution levels were tightened around the world.

Beach Life

Postby Beach Life » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:03 am

Update: thanks for all your advice, so in the end I'm getting a 34mm Makuni from Road and Race, comes with manifold and airfilter and fits better without having to raise the tank to accommodate the bigger Dellorto. (And cheaper!) Being a traditionalist, Id like to stick with dellorto and the choke lever on the handle bar, but sometimes practicality has to take priority.
Cheers
Bernard

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:26 am

graeme wrote: I’ve not heard of that type of 32phf.
Were they on late model Darmahs or a country specific (California) thing?
Graeme

The change to CD/CS carbs happened in 1979, Graeme, theoretically after April but there was some overlap. It isn't actually recorded until the 1980 parts book. Was part of the range of modifications that included the flip-up seat, Silentium silencers, longer shox etc.

Pretty sure it was across all markets.

graeme

Postby graeme » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:39 am

Craig, I’ve never seen these in Australia.
A mate has a late (82) blue Darmah and that had the “normal” Dellorto s
Bernhard, I think you made a good choice.
I think Mikuni Oz has choke lever cable attachments for handle bar levers.
I know the VM34mm Mikuni on my Commando had an option of a bar lever choke set up.
Graeme

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:56 am

graeme wrote:Craig, I’ve never seen these in Australia.
A mate has a late (82) blue Darmah and that had the “normal” Dellortos

Interesting. 1982 was the last year of Dramah production with the last models going to Oz, so who knows what may have been happening? Or, as you say, maybe Australia never got the CD/CS carbs. But I'd have thought Ian F might have remarked it ...

Dan C

Postby Dan C » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:38 am

Hi Bernard,

I think the Mikuni is a likely to be a good choice, After swapping the VHB 29 for a phf 30 and still having issues with starting and idling no matter what jetting combination I just installed a VHM 30 Mikuni on my 450 desmo and straight away it starts and idles.
Its a bit rich down low, just right from 1/4 to 1/2 and too rich from 1/2 to WOT.
My pilot is a 40, I'll drop that to 35.
My main is 250 and not sure what to drop that to, so just wondering what size main in your 34? Might help me dial in a bit quicker.
Then I might have to change the needle position or maybe even the needle. Not sure if that will be required.
But just wondering what needle and jet are in your 34?

Cheers
Dan

Beach Life

Postby Beach Life » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:58 am

Hi Dan,
Havnt received it yet but will let you know.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”