Teflon sleeve mototrans scrambler

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Ventodue

Re: Teflon sleeve mototrans scrambler

Postby Ventodue » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:24 pm

Lost Soul wrote:<snip> Quick question do you know the weight and qty of oil that these forks use?

I quote from the Ducati Road Owners Handbook Mar 1972, for Telesco forks model 127 - 260:

250cc
"viscosity 3-4 Engler at 50°C". (Don't ask me, I'm only passing on .. :shock:).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.s. Mototrans produced 2 separate models, "Road" and "Scrambler", both in 250 and 350cc versions. Personally, I have never sought to understand just why, nor to establish the differences between the two models in any particular detail. But this from Francisco Herreros may act as an indication:

"Ambos modelos españoles eran muy parecidos, radicando básicamente su diferencia en el color de la pintura, el asiento, el filtro de aire y la caja de herramientas ..."

"Both Spanish models were very similar, being basically based on the colour of the paint, the seat, the air filter and the toolbox ..."

Pics on Tinternet.

D. Uralinox

Postby D. Uralinox » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:42 pm

Ventodue wrote:
Lost Soul wrote:P.s. Mototrans produced 2 separate models, "Road" and "Scrambler", both in 250 and 350cc versions. Personally, I have never sought to understand just why, nor to establish the differences between the two models in any particular detail. But this from Francisco Herreros may act as an indication:

"Ambos modelos españoles eran muy parecidos, radicando básicamente su diferencia en el color de la pintura, el asiento, el filtro de aire y la caja de herramientas ..."

"Both Spanish models were very similar, being basically based on the colour of the paint, the seat, the air filter and the toolbox ..."

Yes, good call.
Francisco Herreros has written and published many books about the Spanish m/c industry, and this quote is from chapter 3 of his book "Ducati (Mototrans)", published in 1999. An extensive source for Mototrans info, and maybe he still has some copies, see website "motoretro.es" for contact info. Even for non-Spanish speakers, the photos and technical data are interesting -- and there is always translation software...

If anyone is interested, I can offer various new Mototrans decals, e.g. Ducati Meccanica (bajo licencia...), 175 TS toolbox (pair,) Akront, Betor, 24 Horas etc. -- pm for more details.

Dave C.

Lost Soul

Postby Lost Soul » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:57 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will do some more digging.

I think mine is the Road, but has been registered as a Scrambler judging by the pictures on the net, but I am not to bothered, just having fun dismantling and now beginning the slow process of reassembling it :o

My main problem seem to be clearly identifying the correct bits, but I have been working through the Recambio website I think I have found a lot of the bits I need. Well I hope I have as the bill is getting a little high :(

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:35 am

The bill will be a lot higher when you have finished!

Lost Soul

Postby Lost Soul » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 am

Duccout wrote:The bill will be a lot higher when you have finished!

I fear it will be, still need to look through the engine.

Duccout - I see you are based in Essex, I am on the Essex Herts border. Do you ever go to Finchingfield?

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:36 am

Hi, I occasionally go through Finchingfield.

George

Postby George » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:38 am

In progress with my first Ducati Singles restoration and have doubled estimated engine rebuild cost. Be prepared for high cost before you start then perhaps it won't be so bad. Good luck with it.
George Essex UK

Lost Soul

Postby Lost Soul » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:06 pm

George wrote:In progress with my first Ducati Singles restoration and have doubled estimated engine rebuild cost. Be prepared for high cost before you start then perhaps it won't be so bad. Good luck with it.

Hi George.
I guessed it might get a little pricy, but am prepared for that. I just want to create a nice bike :D

Dave L

Postby Dave L » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:16 pm

Ok so judging by Jon’s pics My 78 scrambler has pre 75 forks?! The sleeves made assembly very difficult and then just slid up the tube making them useless. I imagine after 40 odd years of abuse the forks will have a fair amount of play

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:11 pm

Dave,

Do you mean that your chrome oil seal holder would not screw onto the top of the fork slider?
The exterior threads on the slider are not very deep and it doesn't take much wear to stop the oil seal holder gripping.
PTFE tape around the threads often works.
Another, slightly more radical solution is to very slightly swell out the top of the slider with a tube expander.
The sliders are only made of thin tube, so this needs to be a gentle expansion.
This only needs doing at the top of the slider and doesn't affect the clearance between the slider and the stanchion. Any sliding clearance is taken care of by the top bush.

Jon

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”