Oil Leak, Help diagnosis and what to replace

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DuranMendoza

Re: Oil Leak, Help diagnosis and what to replace

Postby DuranMendoza » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:45 pm

Not to sound like I need to hit the gym or something, but anyone got any tips for taking of the nut on the front sprocket? I have knocked back the tab, and tried locking the rear wheel but it shifts a little and I haven't had any luck. Anyone lock the chain on the rear axle with a screw driver? Thoughts or tips?

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:02 pm

Although I haven't done it on a Ducati sprocket nut, I've been impressed with how effective a rattle gun is at removing tight nuts, even without restraining the shafts to which they are attached.
Removal is drama-free, usually instantaneous.
Since any method of locking the gearbox shaft could be risky, this could be considered?

DuranMendoza

Postby DuranMendoza » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:04 am

Hi again. Thanks everyone for the help. Going slow on this end.

I took off the rear wheel and looking at the rear axle and hub I have noticed a gap.

Rear axle measures 14.93mm
Rear hub bushing measures 15.58mm

Since the sprocket / cush drive isn't connected to the hub, the above gap is causing some wobble back and forth on the axel. Is this normal? Do I need to replace the axle and bushings? The bearings are well greased and appear to be in decent shape. Please see the photos.

Still working on getting the front sprocket off. Gonna try to use a cam puller.

Just want to note that the front sprocket, after I got the nut off the shaft moves back and forth about 1mm. Is that normal? Is that a huge issue?

Thanks again to everyone for the help,
Duran
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:58 am

Hi Duran,

Slowly does it! There is not much access around the front sprocket and if it has rusted on to the shaft a little it can be tight. Have you applied penetrating fluid around the splines? You may be able to gently tap around the edges of the sprocket to loosen it. The free-play in the shaft is normal.

I don't think that the spindle being a bit smaller than the bushes is anything to worry about, once the spindle nuts are tightened everything should be wobble free. Sometimes there is a bit of play in the cush drive if it only has the single bearing, if this is the case then you could try a new bearing and see if that is the cause. Have a look in the parts book to make sure that you have the correct spacers fitted.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:28 pm

Yes, spacers shims bearings etc have dimensions in the Ducati factory parts lists.
They are freely available
ducatimeccanica.com

DuranMendoza

Postby DuranMendoza » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:48 pm

Thanks for the help everyone

I got the sprocket off finally, and I don't see anything behind it. Is there supposed to be a shim between the sprocket and the case? It is item 30 in the picture below that I am asking about

When I rotate the layshaft, the metal towards the back of the recess turns with it. Don't think that it is a washer though, as I cannot pick it out with a pick.

Any thoughts or experience on where the oil might be coming from? Also my sprocket doesn't have the "oil throw scroll", is that important and or help this situation?

Thanks again everyone, just trying to get this all back together to ride without oil going all over the rear wheel.

Duran
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:47 am

Hello Duran

Oil leaks from behind the gearbox sprocket have been covered at length quite a few times before on this forum. If you search the subject all the answers are there somewhere. There is a lot of content of what makes the situation worse, the causes and ultimately the solutions. I know I've added my comments and opinion a few times.

Just trying not to keep adding the same content, the advantage of this forum is you can search content. Which is why it's so much better than Facebook, which often feels like groundhog day. That said it seems to appeal to those with a Gold fish disposition :-)

If you can't find the content, I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.

Regards Nigel

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi Duran,

Having re-read your earlier post - you were asking about spacer number 30, this goes inside the crankcase; there should be nothing between the gearbox sprocket and the outside of the bearing (AFAIK, but I stand to be corrected!) and although there will be play in and out of the shaft without the sprocket being fitted, there should be none when the sprocket is fitted and the nut is tight, because the shaft will be pulled up tight against the bearing.

Have you tried pulling the shaft up and down to see if there is any play? If there is then the bearing has probably failed.

DuranMendoza

Postby DuranMendoza » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:42 pm

Duccout,

Thanks for the advice. I will check that out when I get some parts I ordered. I ordered the sprocket with the scroller to see if that helps as I think everything should be in order. The rebuild should have been done with new bearings not to long ago, but I cannot say they were dual sealed.

The sprocket was tight and did not have any movement until I removed the nut, so I think it is pretty tight up against the bearing seals.

Nigel,

Thanks for the reply. I apparently did not do enough research initially, and I did find the following thread which is helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=907&p=6177&hilit=Oil+Sprocket+Leak#p6177

Incase someone reads this it will lead them to the right direction.

- I do not leave the petcocks on, so overfilling the sump shouldn't be an issue.
- I noticed you recommended to fill 4.25 UK Pints = 2.5 US Quarts. I have filled mine to 2.75 US quarts, so maybe it is slightly overfilled. I will work to run it a little on the leaner side and just keep an eye on it. Hopefully that and the scroll solves some of the issue, otherwise the bottom may have to come apart.

Thanks all for the help, much appreciated.

Duran

DuranMendoza

Postby DuranMendoza » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:46 pm

Duccout,

Also one last thing, you mention there shouldn't be anything between the sprocket and bearing. Please take a look at the link I included above. It seems that there is a shim that goes there in that place, but I could be wrong. Part No. 0603.16.055.

Thanks again all,
Duran

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”