Kickback

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Duccout

Re: Kickback

Postby Duccout » Sat May 30, 2020 2:06 pm

Well, my points backplate is also almost as far as it will go in the clockwise direction, so you cannot be far off. I just wonder if there is a problem with the advance/ retard mechanism in some way?

frankfast

Postby frankfast » Sat May 30, 2020 2:27 pm

I did pull the advance mechanism and it is free and working. I'm going to try again with the points plate as far clockwise as it can go as soon as my ankle recovers from yesterdays kickback, maybe tomorrow. I'm optimistic since yesterday it fired at least. Maybe changing the condenser did something but I think knowing the proper procedure for kickstarting is the biggest improvement.Kickstarting big singles is a lot different than kickstarting twins.

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Sat May 30, 2020 2:54 pm

Seems you don't know how to precisely locate the T.D.C.
To do this you need a timing wheel with fixation screw, an indicaton pointer made from steel wire or sheet metal, an a "piston stop tool". See this DIY video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAwRulNylGs.
Finding T.D.C.:

- attach the timing wheel to your crankshaft (use LH side M8 thread which appears behind the hex plug in the primary cover)
- cut/bend an appropriate pointer and fix it to the engine, so it shows you the actual angle of the crankshaft when properly aligned with the timing wheel's dial
- screw the piston stop into the spark plug's thread and lock the counter nut
- adjust the stop's spindle so that the crankshaft can be rotated for roughly 6-7/8 of a turn.
- either stopping point has exactly the same angular distance to T.D.C. !
- take the stop out
- turn the crankshaft to an angle halfways between the two stopping points measured before
- now your piston is precisely in T.D.C. position

Hans

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”